Using dollars vs. tenge in Kazakhstan

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
Post Reply
Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 pm
x 43
x 90

Using dollars vs. tenge in Kazakhstan

Post by Crazydre »

Hello, I'm thinking about whether I should bring dollars or tenge when going from Russia to Kazakhstan (by Train from Moscow to Beyneu, then bus/marshrukta to Aktau).

The things I'll have to pay for in the country are: marshrukta/bus Beyneu-Aktau; hotel night(s) in Aktau; Food; Ferry ticket to Azerbaijan.

In particular:

Are Dollars accepted on marshruktas in General?
The 110-dollar ticket Price for the Ferry, do you actually pay that in dollars, or in tenge, or are both accepted? If tenge are accepted, what would the ticket would cost in that currency?
If I choose to bring tenge, would it be better to get them in Russia (Moscow) or in Kazakhstan (Beyneu)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3874
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm
x 3243
x 459

Re: Using dollars vs. tenge in Kazakhstan

Post by steven »

You can bring dollars and exchange them in Kazakhstan for the best deal. I don't think it will be easy to get tenge in Russia. You cannot pay marshrutkas in dollars. Actually, scratch that, they will be happy to relieve you from your dollars. You will be a lot poorer, though than if you would have paid in the local currency.

Ferry ticket is also in tenge.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 pm
x 43
x 90

Re: Using dollars vs. tenge in Kazakhstan

Post by Crazydre »

steven wrote:You can bring dollars and exchange them in Kazakhstan for the best deal. I don't think it will be easy to get tenge in Russia. You cannot pay marshrutkas in dollars. Actually, scratch that, they will be happy to relieve you from your dollars. You will be a lot poorer, though than if you would have paid in the local currency.

Ferry ticket is also in tenge.
I see, tenge it is then.

I'm thinking of buying the 385 rubles I'll need (hostel night in St Petersburg+transport to the train station) at home before leaving, whilst also withdrawing a bunch of euros or buying a bunch of dollars, then converting these on the road to tenge, Azeri manat, Lars etc.

You wrote that in Uzbekistan, Dollars offer significantly better rates than euros; is it the same in Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Georgia? (the advantage of euros is I can withdraw them from an ATM at home)

Also, do you happen to know the actual Ferry Price? I called the Aktau port (yes, they actually picked up) and, if I understood it right, they said they thought it was 18300 tenge ("on syegiz ming üsh zhüz" - think that's 18300), but that they weren't really sure and I should contact the "office"

What the hell, I really hope that's true. That's just USD 55, half of USD 110
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3874
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm
x 3243
x 459

Re: Using dollars vs. tenge in Kazakhstan

Post by steven »

Crazydre wrote: You wrote that in Uzbekistan, Dollars offer significantly better rates than euros; is it the same in Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Georgia? (the advantage of euros is I can withdraw them from an ATM at home)
Only in Uzbekistan there is a black market for dollars. In other countries you will exchange money at the exchange office at international exchange rates, so there is no benefit to either dollar or euro. Euro is fine too and many people keep their money in Euro in Kazakhstan.
Crazydre wrote: Also, do you happen to know the actual Ferry Price? I called the Aktau port (yes, they actually picked up) and, if I understood it right, they said they thought it was 18300 tenge ("on syegiz ming üsh zhüz" - think that's 18300), but that they weren't really sure and I should contact the "office"
No. I have recorded what people paid in the past on the website. Things can always change.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 pm
x 43
x 90

Re: Using dollars vs. tenge in Kazakhstan

Post by Crazydre »

I see. One more Thing: is there anywhere to éxchange currency in Beineu? Because I'm going there directly from Moscow and will need tenge for the marshrukta on to Aktau.

The train does stop in Atyrau for half an hour, but getting off there feels risky since the train could be late (shortening the time spent there)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3874
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm
x 3243
x 459

Re: Using dollars vs. tenge in Kazakhstan

Post by steven »

Good question. I don't know, I have never been to Beyneu myself, so I don't know. It sounds like a shithole. I guess you can always exchange 5 dollar at a very inflated rate to get on the bus. People are very keen on dollars.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert
Posts: 749
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:02 pm
x 3543
x 177

Re: Using dollars vs. tenge in Kazakhstan

Post by bwv812 »

There are ATMs in Beyneu, so you should be able to get tenge from them.
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 pm
x 43
x 90

Re: Using dollars vs. tenge in Kazakhstan

Post by Crazydre »

bwv812 wrote:There are ATMs in Beyneu, so you should be able to get tenge from them.
Nice, thanks for that.

Do you know how often buses/marshrutkas run to Aktau? What does it cost (in tenge), and where do they leave from (outside the Station or elsewhere)?

I will arrive at the Station on a Friday in July at 16:30
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert
Posts: 749
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:02 pm
x 3543
x 177

Re: Using dollars vs. tenge in Kazakhstan

Post by bwv812 »

Crazydre wrote: Do you know how often buses/marshrutkas run to Aktau? What does it cost (in tenge), and where do they leave from (outside the Station or elsewhere)?
No idea on that, sorry.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post