Registration Kazakhstan not required anymore?

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Registration Kazakhstan not required anymore?

Postby steven » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:40 am

I got a bit angry there yesterday. Apologies for that, I was in the wrong.

As it stands, I believe the following to be true:

Legally, you do not need to register anymore if you come on the visa-free.

If you try to register with OVIR, there is a very high chance you will get brushed off and shooed away.

Nonetheless, you can still be scammed by your hotel, the immigration police, or the border guards.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:26 am

I added more nuance and disclaimers to the article.

http://caravanistan.com/visa/kazakhstan ... tion-ovir/
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

boats.and.bikes

Postby boats.and.bikes » Sat May 27, 2017 5:03 pm

For Information ... My recent experience.
UK passport holder, one stamp on migration card, visit to Almaty OVIR and advised that 1 or 2 stamps is irrelevant, registration was not needed (in Kazakhstan on 30 day visa free scheme), passed through border into Kyrgyzstan this afternoon , with backup email from Kazakhstan embassy in London confirming registration not necessary ... no problems, out of Kazakhstan passport control at Korday in less than 10 minutes.
Lucky? Maybe!!😀
1 x

Karl Bushby

Postby Karl Bushby » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:01 am

Has anyone tried to extend their stay beyond the free 30 days? how was that experience? Thanks
0 x

Wheels on the run

Postby Wheels on the run » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:09 am

FYI
Two Croatians on visa-free regime, got two stamps at the border but went to Almaty immigration police anyway. They said we don't need to register for 30 days as we have two stamps and we are on visa-free travel. We'll see how it goes while exiting the country.
0 x
Croatia to Mongolia on a motorbike https://www.facebook.com/wheelsotrun/

lukeo16

Postby lukeo16 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:52 am

Had a spot of bother with the police over this so thought I would I would post my experience so others are aware.
Was travelling between Almaty and Astana and had to change trains at Chu. whilst waiting for my connecting train a police officer comes up checks my passport then tells me to come with him. He takes me to the police station besides the station where they try to tell me I have not registered. (my migration card had 2 stamps which I got at the kordai border) They insist that my second stamp is a customs stamp and therefore I was not registered. They make a couple of phone calls, search my bag then tell me that if i don't pay $100 i will not be allowed to get my train. I tried to stand my ground but they weren't budging so i ended up paying the "fine" . They tell me when i get to Astana i need to go to the police to be registered, i didn't and flew out of Astana yesterday with no issues.

About 30 minutes after letting me go they came back and took me back to the police station to drink,smoke (2 things i don't do) and have a chat with them. so i spend the next two hours in the police station casually chatting with them before my train arrives, at which point they carry my bags to the train and let me go. Probably one of the most surreal nights of my life.

Had a wonderful trip in Kazakhstan despite this.
1 x

Wheels on the run

Postby Wheels on the run » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:57 am

Update on registration.
Registration was not needed. Exited Kahakhstan with no problems. Had two stamps in registration card (got at the entrance), and got third one at the exit. Looks like visa-free travelers are 30-days free of registration.
0 x
Croatia to Mongolia on a motorbike https://www.facebook.com/wheelsotrun/

Antonio

Postby Antonio » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:44 am

No registration needed for European passports that do not requiere visa.

I entered the country from Uzbekistan, asked the police at the border and they told me no need to register. My inmigration card was stamped two times.

Since I read here it was not needed, and the police told me so, I did not bother to go to OVIR in Almaty to confirm, but certainly was a litte concerned in the passport check at the airport. But the guard there was more interested in checking the stiches in my passport that anything else. He stamped me out, and also the inmigration card that he kept.
0 x

robert

Postby robert » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:33 pm

We got only one stamp on our migration card when entering Kazakhstan (via border to Russia, by car). We went to OVIR, but they refused to register us. We had no problems when exiting Kazakhstan.

The only confusing thing was that the back of the migration card still mentioned that we should register, but that actually seems not to be true anymore.
1 x

dan6681

Postby dan6681 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:17 am

I went to the OVIR in Almaty today. They refused to register me. I only have one stamp on my migration card, which I guess is normal if you enter overland? (fingers crossed) I'll update the thread here when I leave.

On a side note I also emailed the Kazakh Embassy in the US. They said US Citizens on the 30 day visa free scheme do not need to register at OVIR. I would assume that would extend to all nationalities eligible for visa free entry.
2 x