Priozersk (how?)

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
louislk

Priozersk (how?)

Post by louislk »

Hi there,
I'm now in Kz going arround and I'd like to go in the south of the city Priozersk, south of Sari-shagan, west of Balkash. I don't find anything on google exept a few pics and wiki saying that it's a closed city still used by russian for rocket lauching testing site... Local people in Almata now can't tell me more. I was wondering if some of you have been there, and if it's authorized or possible to go.

I suppose a special pass is needed but is it really important? And if it is, where can I get it, maybe Sari-shagan or Karaganda?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Priozersk (how?)

Post by steven »

The English Wikipedia page on Priozersk says it is still a closed city. The Russian language page says it has been open to visit without permit since 2005. I am inclined to believe the Russian page. Best to just try and see what happens. If you are not allowed they will let you know.

The Argun complex and Balkhash radar station are definitely off-limits though as they are still in military use.

Let us know how it was!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I wrote an article after visiting last summer: http://caravanistan.com/kazakhstan/priozersk/
0 x

kk53xz

Post by kk53xz »

I've found that the train runs from Almaty to Astana do go through Sary Shagan. I wonder if there's public transportation or taxi for me to go from Sary Shagan to Priozersk?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I think you will need to get a taxi, but perhaps there is a bus. I don't know. Please let us know if you find out!
0 x

Michal

Post by Michal »

Hi!
Do you know if there are any possibilities to sleep in Priozersk or nearby? We are planning to rent a car from Almaty and go there, but it shows us it's 7 hours driving so we need to spend a night somewhere. I'll be thankful for any recommendations. Best!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

There should be a hotel, but I cannot say for certain.
0 x

Michal

Post by Michal »

Hi. Just got back from Priozersk. So, if someone want to visit this place - go ahead. It's very easy - by public transport too. We took the night train from Almaty [21:35] to Sary-shagan [06:28]. Immediately we found a guy on the square next to railway station, who took us to Priozersk for 2000T. You can't leave your luggage on the train station in Sary-shagan, but we asked ladies in the shop located on the main square of Priozersk and they agreed to look for our backpacks. We spent there like 7 hours and it was enough for me. You can wander street by street from one end of the city to another. The guy who took us in the morning came back at 15:30 on his own, and took us back to Sary-shagan. We took a train at 16:23 and at midnight we were back in Almaty. When it comes to the sleeping places - there are for sure, but we didn't sleep there. However you can find on booking.com, and maps.me Dom y Ozera - homestay, and we saw a motel near the main square. The post soviet hotel Rassija seems to be abandoned. There are a lot of soldiers on the streets but no one cares about you. The only passport control took place in the small shop, where the lady just wanted to have a look, where are we from :) The city is totally open now. Good luck!
2 x