Kazakhstan Altai border permit Q&A

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Kazakhstan Altai border permit Q&A

Post by steven »

Question 1: yes
Question 2: I think so. The bridge was repaired a few years ago so it's fine AFAIK.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Boris_S

Post by Boris_S »

Do you know if the Austrian Road is currently passable on a motorbike (BMW R1200GS?)
Yes, it's passable, as well as on SUV, all bridges are restored.

August 2019 video: [bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaSaeNUhMwM&t[/bbvideo]
1 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

Speresie wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:10 am
Hello! Thank you for the update. Are you saying you can travel the Austrian Road from Zaysan to Katon Karagay without a permit? Do you know if the Austrian Road is currently passable on a motorbike (BMW R1200GS?)
From Lake Zaisan through the village of Markakol to Lake Markakol (Urunhayka), and then along the Old Austrian road to Katon-Karagai - this route does not require any permits. I took this route in August 2020. Not far from the village of Markakol, the road passes very close to the border, 20 meters, but there are no checkpoints. There is a border post on the road to Lake Rakhmanov, permission is needed there. See photos and videos, please.

Kazakhstan-China border.

https://youtu.be/peQ4toAZMVg

Old Austrian road

https://youtu.be/k4_b2LUx8xo

border post on the road to Lake Rakhmanov

https://youtu.be/NA-eGl9vSd4

Lake Rakhmanov

1 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

"If the time is right, you can visit extra-terrestrial landscapes at Kiin Kerish and Zhanytas with a guide (because you can easily get lost)." https://caravanistan.com/kazakhstan/nor ... thern-road

Yes, Kiin Kerish is a fantastic place that is located about 15 kilometers north of Lake Zaisan. Kiin-Kerish is clearly visible from the asphalt road R-147, from the road to the object is also only 15 kilometers. It is quite difficult to get lost there. A 4x4 vehicle is highly desirable. No pass required to visit this place.

3 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

East Kazakhstan, Altai. 2021 year.
"The only bright spot that stood out with neat buildings and contrasts with the dilapidated village was the border outpost, over which a red flag was flying. Yes, I was not mistaken - the flag was red. It was the border outpost of the People's Republic of China. We did not see the border outposts of the Republic of Kazakhstan, most likely they were safely hidden from prying eyes. " story, photo, video

1 x

Teddy B

Post by Teddy B »

Like to visit this area now that I don't have to go through the pass procedure; nice surprise reading this as guidebook said 'No'. As a result I have a couple of questions regarding this area:

1. What's the furthest I can get with Public transport i.e. Bus, Shared taxis etc, and how far is this from the sights within this area; I don't mind hiking in but withing limits [1-2 days each way].

2. What is the terrain and temperatures/climate like for Bivvying [sleeping outside in a waterproof bag/mosquito net/tarpaulin] in August/September, and are there any safety issues i.e People, wildlife etc.

Thanks.
0 x

Lutnistas1969

Kazakhstan - Altai border permit

Post by Lutnistas1969 »

Hi,
I know that this topic has come up here in other posts before, but I would like to ask it anyway.
Is it possible to get the border zone permit for Katon- Karagay District without the intermediation of any travel agency?

I would like to get to the Yazovoe and Rakhmonov lakes, and as far as I know, foreign tourists still needs a permit there.

In the last two weeks I have asked several travel agencies in Kazakhstan for assistance in obtaining this permit. When I wrote that this summer we would like to visit Kazakhstan and asked ( I can speak Russian quite well ) if we need the border zone permit for Altai, the first answer was "no". But than when I've written ( for sure ) that I had a passport from one of the European Union countries and my wife has Japanese, immediately they replied that we need it and from this moment my question was completely ignored and they kept trying to convince me that the traveling around Kazakhstan is practically possible only with an agency :lol: . When I politely tried to say "thank you" and explain that we need only the permit, they stopped responding...

I'm a bit tired of it :roll:
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Kazakhstan - Altai border permit

Post by steven »

Have you written to us already? We still have Valeriya in Oskemen, she can definitely do it, we'll make sure she doesn't try to upsell you.

But maybe she was unresponsive? That happens. Saule can follow up.
0 x

Lutnistas1969

Post by Lutnistas1969 »

Hi Steven,
thank you for your answer. No I didn't write to you.
It was probably someone else who was also planning to go to Lake Yazovoe.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Ok, send us a message https://caravanistan.com/custom-tours/ and report back to me if anything went wrong / well.
0 x