Altyn Emel Q&A

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
steven
Admin
Admin

Altyn Emel Q&A

Post by steven »

Your questions and updates about travel in Altyn Emel are welcome below.

For cycling Altyn Emel, see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2639

Please make sure you have read the Altyn Emel travel guide beforehand! Thank you!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

michellaneous

Altyn Emel Q&A

Post by michellaneous »

Hi! I am a backpacker, and I want to travel to Altyn Emel by public transport, but I can't find any information about taking bus to there, except the bus tour. If it is mandatory to join a tour (assumed a day tour), can I stay in the national park without the tour? Is it possible to travel back to Almaty without the tour?
Thanks!
Last edited by steven on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

saule
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Almaty to Altyn Emel

Post by saule »

Hi!
It is a 7 hour drive to the park and most people go there by their own transport. The closest village to Altyn Emel is Baschi village. But I dont know any details about public transport.
Perhaps you need to get to Sary Ozek which is a town closer to Altyn Emel, and hire taxi to Baschi.
Also keep in mind that Altyn Emel is Huge! and you need to have a 4x4 car to drive there.
Best option is to get a tour. the cheapest would be joining group of tourists with local guides. we have just started working with them, but they have really interesting tours and cheapest prices that we`ve seen so far. http://caravanistan.com/tour/altyn-emel ... es-2-days/

there are also local tours in russian, perhaps cheaper, but they are very basic.
0 x

Guillaume

Guesthouses in Altyn Emel NP ?

Post by Guillaume »

Hello Caravanistan,

My buddy and I will be touring Altyn Emel for 2 or 3 days from August 11th onward (Anyone wanting to share this with us is welcome ;) ), and I'm looking for accomodations nearby.

Caravanistan mentions on its dedicated page to contact the Park Office (In Basshi ?) : Where can I do that ? Any website or simply an e-mails to provide by any chance ? Given this is the high season, I'd like to book in advance and avoid a no-vacancy when arriving...
So far I sent e-mails over here : Seems to be the place...

Same question for a guide actually : Is it possible to hire one in advance or do I have to do this on site ?

But perhaps this is easier to prepare everything in Almaty (I think I read there is an office in town, right ?) when I arrive on August 5 ?...

Just one last thing, do the 3 routes you mention here corresponds to those mentioned here?

Thanks a lot for your help ! :)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Guesthouses in Altyn Emel NP ?

Post by steven »

Emails are problematic, you need to call and you need to speak russian most likely, so perhaps arranging it throug the ecotourism office or another tour operator will be easier. The guide will be appointed to you on place. I dthink this is actually not the high season, which is more in may and September when it is a bit cooler!

Routes mentioned are the same in both sites. I said i might want to do something with you around almaty but i will still be in north Kazakhstan as it turns out.
0 x

Guillaume

Altyn Emel Q&A topic

Post by Guillaume »

Hello folks !

As far as I understood to visit Altyn emel western route you need to get à permit in Almaty, since It's impossible to get it on site.
Simple question here : where is it ? Lonely P indicated it on Abilay Kahn avenue 55, been there, never found anything close to an office.

Dit I get it wrong or the adress changed ?

Spasiba !
Last edited by steven on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged different Altyn Emel topics together and changed title
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Where is the Altyn emel office in Almaty ?

Post by steven »

Try the ecotourism office https://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C9BKJ ... IgAQ%3D%3D

Tolebaev 178
0 x

Guillaume

Re: Altyn Emel Q&A topic

Post by Guillaume »

Hello all,

Just been back from à 3-day trip in Altyn Emel. It was just superb, even counting the flat tyre I ended up with on the first day. Hard to go into détails on a phone but I'll be happy to help if necessary.

I do confirm you'll need à strong 4x4. Roads are reaaaaally bumpy but It's definitely worth it.

My own, little advice if you decide to do it on your own : get all the permits you need in Almaty, there is an office dedicated to it. They're super friendly and even I who don't know russian at all managed to get the precious, including nights in guesthouses, guides, etc.
I wanted to settle things and make sure I Had à bed before I went there.

Remember there are 3 roads to see, two from Basshi, the other one from à little town north of Kapshagay. Coming from Almaty I recommand to start with the third one since It's Closer.

I'll post à full trip report with picture when I'm home in à week or so.

Cheers
G
3 x

mbrtravels

Altyn Emel National Park Tour Share

Post by mbrtravels »

Hello, My partner and I are visiting Almaty from Australia and are keen to visit Altyn Emel National Park. We like to arrange most of our travel ourselves (rather than going on tours), however, with this park, it seems like you need a hired driver. We are looking for 1 or 2 others who would want to share a tour/driver for 2 or 3 days. We are looking to go in the next week so so (mid- June) and are flexible with dates. Message me if you're interested!

Ember
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Altyn Emel National Park Tour Share

Post by Julia »

Hi

Both motor vehicles and cyclists are allowed in the park.

The park has a huge area and long distances between spots of attraction. Spots are located in different parts of the park and no good roads between them, no public transportation.
It's just too difficult to move between spots in this park if you don't have your own transport.
That's why travellers have to hire a driver.

There is a thread on this forum from cyclists who cycled to the Singing dune 2 years ago. But they mentioned they weren't allowed to go further.
It's not allowed to cross through the park from one side of it to another as central part is reserved.
But touristic routes with attractions are available.

If you travel individually visit the park office in Basshi first to get permits and info about rules. The park has special rules and restrictions where to camp, time allowed to move around, etc.
0 x