Altyn Emel Q&A

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Altyn Emel Q&A

Post by Julia »

krolik wrote:Hi! I just spoke to some friends from kazakhstan and they told me I can get a permit for Altyn Emel NP directly at the park office in Basshi (as I'm not passing through Almaty so that would make my life easier). Anybody that can confirm that? Thank you!
Right, Basshi park office is a place where usually people take permit.
1 x

krolik

Post by krolik »

Oh thank you very much for the useful info, Julia :-)
0 x

Aenn

Post by Aenn »

Hello everybody,

I want to go to the Altyn-Emel NP by public transportation. It seems that I have to find a ranger respectively I have to go the office in Basshi to find a driver for a tour? Does it work like this without a own car?

Thanks
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

Hi.
There is no public transportation to Altyn Emel and Basshi village.
You need to find a taxi to Basshi and arrange transport for Altyn Emel with a ranger in the park office.
Or you can find a tour in Almaty. There are enough tour companies that offer tours to Altyn Emel from Almaty.
0 x

Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Hi all,

I read a lot about drivers being appointed and/or booked to visit altyn emel NP. Now I am wondering if a driver is obligated? Because although there are bad roads, we are renting a 4 x 4 and I have a lot of experience driving offroad all over the world. Seems like it would be nice if I could save me some money on that guide.
0 x

trikolka

Post by trikolka »

Pieter wrote: I am wondering if a driver is obligated?
no. I met tourists who rented a 4x4 in Almaty, and were allowed to drive themselves in the park.
1 x
http://blog.zamir.fr : Siberia, Caucasus, Kazakhstan
http://blog.khushomaded.fr : cycling Silk Road from Iran to Kyrgyzstan

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

Last update. A small overview of the national park. We were there on October 18, 2020. First of all - the address of the official website of the Altyn-Emel National Park, an English version is available. https://www.altyn-emel.kz/en/
Now impressions. We did not see the whole park (the tour took half a day). We drove our car from Almaty and bought tickets at the head office (Basshi). There were four points of interest on the route - Oshaktas stone steles, Chokan Valikhanov's spring, Singing dune and a 700-year-old willow. All the sights, in my opinion, are greatly exaggerated or created in a "bundle place". The willow tree does not live that long, maximum 100 years. The legend of the Oshaktas steles does not stand up to criticism. The height of the Singing Dune is half the advertised height. The only real place is a spring, but if you knew what the "Russian spy" Valikhanov wrote about this place, you would cry ...
So think well if you should strive here with all your might. )) You can find the details of my trip here

This is the road to the national park and the road through the park, it is very bad.

https://youtu.be/MZk6yrxr3xw

Episodes of a tour of the park.

https://youtu.be/AgZtGzwnOMk

I have plans to look at other attractions of this park in the near future. I promise to share my impressions. ))
1 x

markioo

Post by markioo »

Hello,

I'm willing to visit Altyn-Emel and wish to walk and take photos. I usually prefer to stay 3 or 4 days on one given place, to really enjoy it and find the right spots for photos. I read everywhere that visitors seem to spend only one night in Altyn-Emel.

Is this a choice, a restriction? Is it possible to obtain a permit to stay a few nights over there?

Thanks!
0 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

Hi Markioo,

I stayed also couple day's at Altyn-Emel.
But be sure to bring all the water and food you need with you.
Also some reserve as you never know what happens.
I was there with 4x4 pick up and saw nobody the time i was there, climbed / walked couple mountains.
It's very beautiful.
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Koen wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:24 am
Hi Markioo,

I stayed also couple day's at Altyn-Emel.
But be sure to bring all the water and food you need with you.
Also some reserve as you never know what happens.
I was there with 4x4 pick up and saw nobody the time i was there, climbed / walked couple mountains.
It's very beautiful.
Is a 4x4 a must ? I have a Sprinter, high ground clearance, AT wheels, i will bring some trax, rear locking differential,
0 x