Drones allowed in Kazakhstan?

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
Harry

Drones allowed in Kazakhstan?

Postby Harry » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:39 am

Hi everyone

Myself and 4 friends are visiting Kazakhstan this summer, flights are booked and we're very excited! We fly into Almaty, where we will pick up a car and then we have a week to drive to Astana where we fly back home to the UK. We want to wild camp along the way and would love your advice on where we should visit. From our research on Caravanistan, we are thinking of exploring Ile Alatau National Park, Kolsai Lakes, Charyn Canyon and Altyn Emel National Park for the first 4 days and then drive across the steppe, stopping off in Karkaraly National Park before arriving in Astana. Do you think this is a good plan?

We all work in the travel industry in the UK and are passionate about exploring the world. A couple of years ago we went to Oman and made a short video of our trip which the tourism board loved! You can see the video here: https://vimeo.com/146378775 One of our friends is a videographer and we are hoping to also film our time in Kazakhstan. He has a drone and we would love to make an amazing video that shows off how incredible Kazakhstan is as a destination in the hope that more people will be inspired to visit. Is it possible to do this? We have heard reports though that we might need a permit for this as we could get in trouble with the local police if they see camera equipment. Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on our trip. Excited to get out there now...

Thanks
Harry
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: English visitors in Kazakhstan - Need help!

Postby steven » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:20 am

Hi Harry,

drones are pretty standard in Kazakhstan nowadays and I guided some journalists in the past with drones, you can also find plenty of drone footage online about Kazakhstan filmed by foreigners on a tourist visa so I reckon this will be fine.

About your plan: I think it is ok. To be honest, Karkaralinsk is not very amazing. 4 days to visit all the places you mentioned around Almaty is possible but tight.

Dont know how much time you have, but I would say it makes more sense to just tour Almaty region for nature, stop over in Balkhash and Karaganda for Soviet history and heavy industry, and Astana for shiny new buildings.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D