Taxis or drivers in central Kazakhstan

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
Hefbot

Taxis or drivers in central Kazakhstan

Postby Hefbot » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:37 pm

I’m thinking of going to Shabanbai Bi Eco-village in the Kyzylarai area north of Lake Balkhash. I will be travelling south from Astana.

Will I be able to hire a driver(s) to go to Almaty for 7 people from Shabanbai Bi?

I saw that the closest direct train goes from Moyynty, but takes about 12 hours in addition to the 5 hours from Shabanbai Bi village; so I would prefer to hire a couple of cars + drivers instead of getting a train. I know hiring drivers for long distances is common in Tajikistan, but I don’t see many comments about hiring drivers in Kazakhstan. Is it possible / not obscenely expensive?

Any other advice on the best route from Astana to Almaty, via Kyzylarai to see the steppe, would be really appreciated.

Cheers.
0 x

walkingalmaty
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Taxis or drivers in central Kazakhstan

Postby walkingalmaty » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:32 am

Well if you have 7 people and want to hire a whole car or two, than in theory anything is possible. From Almaty it's not very realistic, though, because drivers won't know where this place is, and they won't be able to reliably find passengers for the way back.

All sources I can find suggest that the way to do it is to go from Karaganda. You said you're coming from Astana, in which case getting to Karaganda is not a problem. From Karaganda, you can get a marshrutka or taxi to Aktogai, and from there you can probably get another car.

No matter which way you go, the distances will be long. Kazakhstan is big and that's just an unavoidable fact about traveling here.

Have you tried asking for help from the ecotourism Informational resource center, [email protected], or the Information Tourist Center in Karaganda (tel: + 7 7212 412165)?
0 x

Hefbot

Postby Hefbot » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:38 am

Hi thanks for the reply,

Yes I have asked them and they have given me information for getting from Karaganda to to the village. It’s really what to do from there. At worst I could go back to Karaganda and get a train all the way to Almaty. Was just trying to do something more interesting and the roads in that part of the country are supposed to be quite good. So thought if I could get a driver (or more than one driver if we have to switch half way) it would be a good way to see the steppe.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:55 am

Haven't been, but I think Ulytau might be an interesting place for you to see, if you wanna see some real steppe.

http://caravanistan.com/kazakhstan/center
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

walkingalmaty
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Postby walkingalmaty » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:44 pm

AuroraUsa wrote:Uber is working in KZ right now so dont worry about taxi!

I can't tell if you're kidding, but you definitely can't take an Uber that far :)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:23 am

Would also like to add that in Almaty at least, Uber drivers are low quality, and hailing an Uber is slower and more expensive than getting a ride from the street.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D