Overstaying visa in Kazakhstan

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
La Trottineuse

Overstaying visa in Kazakhstan

Post by La Trottineuse »

Hi,

a report concerning overstaying, from a French citizen (visa free for 30 days).
There is a 3 day rule applying : if one presents oneself to the immigration police in the 3-days period after the last day of validity of one's visa, one will get an official warning, then get 5 more days to exit the country, before it gets to court (fine or prison).

I just experienced this in Taraz, as I presented myself one day late at the border, where they told me to go back to town, to the Immigration Police.
It went on very smoothly, nearly no queue in the Immigration bureau, an interpreter was called to explain my rights etc, everyone was asking questions about the travel in a happy spirit.
Once the warning is issued, one has to go to the Post and pay about 1500 Tenge (4 euros), and come back with the proof of payment.
Then the "extension visa" is ready in 2 hours. Luckily, I obtained 10 days more.

This is not an incitation to overstay, but it's good to know about the 3 days rule !
I don't know if this is also valid for other types of Visa.

Good travels,
Blandine
Last edited by La Trottineuse on Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
A Simple Life - World Open Tour on a push scooter
Facebook:  La Trottineuse

walkingalmaty
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: "The 3 day rule" - Overstaying visa

Post by walkingalmaty »

Wow, I had never heard of that before! I had only heard threats of a big fine. Thanks for sharing!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: "The 3 day rule" - Overstaying visa

Post by steven »

This is definitely new, and very welcome!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Ken the Hipster

Re: Overstaying visa in Kazakhstan

Post by Ken the Hipster »

Hello,

My name is Ken. I am a US expatriate that lives in Kazakhstan (or Kyrgyzstan depending on wherever the wind blows). I just wanted to confirm as of September 2018, that unofficial "three day rule" is still in effect. US citizens have a 30 day visa free stay. I was suppose to leave on the 30th day but someone had robbed me, my hostel who were all locals and foreigners alike, and the store owners all together. I did not have the money on time to leave on the 30th day and was one day overstay and I immediately went to the Immigration office located in Almaty. The place is open from 9am to 6:30pm. If you come early there is practically no one there, however if you come later in the afternoon, it will be jam packed! Do NOT bother trying to call this location because no one will ever pick up the phone. If you check out the reviews, there are many complaints from Russian speaker about the poor quality customer service regarding phone calls.

[https://www.google.kz/search?q=immigrat ... 3bb6f04a,1,,,]

There is no English nor does anyone speak English and I speak baby Russian/ No Kazakh. I did not know what to do so I patiently waited for someone who looked like a worker that could help me. One random citizen came to me to ask if I needed help and then I used google translator and said "I overstayed my visa 1 day, what do I do?" The random citizen helped me and I found out that I needed to go to Window 5. I gave him my passport along with my expired Migration card. I told him, I am one day overstay. He asked me "When do you leave" , I said "Today, tomorrow or as soon as possible". He asked me if I have a ticket or something to show that I leave. I told him I was going to the border at Kordai. He took me to the other side of a building and called a translator. He handed me the phone and it was an English speaking woman. The woman told me that they are rewarding me for my honesty and they are not going to punish me, Charge me, deport me or anything. Instead they are extending my stay for 15 more days. They are only going to charge me for the Visa application to extend my stay which is only 1,200 Tenge (NOT 1,500 Tenge). The Immigrant police put me in a room with a woman to fill out the visa application. She already knew I didn't speak Kazakh or Russian so she filled it out for me and all I had to do was sign the paper. There was no warning, no berating, no nothing. I took the visa application to that immigrant officer. He gave me the bill to pay at the cashier. Once I paid and brought back the receipt he took my passport and told me to come back this Thursday with the paper (<---- do NOT lose this!!!)

There was no problem. The whole process took no more than 15 mins MAX. of course it should go without saying that it is within your best interest to NOT overstay, however if an emergency like my situation were to happen, report to the Immigration police immediately.
3 x

thelastlion

Post by thelastlion »

Can I use multiple passports to overstay in Kazhakstan?

I have a US and EU passport. On a tourist visa, Kazakhstan only allows me to stay 90 days out of every 180 days. If I alternate passports to try to stay for 120 or 150 days, will Kazakhstan's passport control systems detect that? I'm guessing they would because they would simply need to cross-reference my fingerprints, face scan or passport name/birthday. However, I would be doing border runs from Almaty to Bishkek and other posts suggest that not all Krygystan border crossings have computerized passport control (i.e. some may just stamp passports).

I believe I could legally stay for 150+ days by obtaining a permanent residency permit, but that seems to be an extremely onerous process and, according to one attorney, B8 visas are currently postponed due to the January events. According to the attorneys I have contacted, there is no other visa that allows me to stay more than 90 days.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by thelastlion on Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

Don't know about Kazakhstan, but I had a friend trying to do that two-passport trick in the UAE. Went well for a year or so, with visa runs into Oman, until he was found, arrested, sentenced and thrown out of the UAE with barely the time to go clear up his apartment.

The legal way might be onerous, but ending up in a Kazakh prison feels 'onerous' too.
0 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

thelastlion

Post by thelastlion »

Thanks! I agree that if someone overstays in the UAE after both their passports have been scanned, then they will likely get caught.

As I study the border crossing map more, I think the question is whether the border crossings at Ak-Tilek and the Karkara Valley just stamp passports or do they also scan passports, fingerprints or faces. I'm guessing it's the latter, but any confirmation would be appreciated!
0 x

thelastlion

Post by thelastlion »

I think I found the answer to my question below. Thus the two passport strategy shouldn't work.

"On 1 February, KARM CD Nariman Mannapbekov handed over eight mobile passport readers to the Kazakhstan National Security Committee’s Border Guard Service, represented by Colonel Gani Agadilov. The passport readers will significantly reduce the border crossing procedures and help expedite clearance of passengers travelling between Almaty and Bishkek"
https://www.almaty-bishkek.org/event&ei ... an&lang=en
0 x

airlinedlx

Post by airlinedlx »

I accidentally overstayed my visa last summer because the visa period was unclear, it stated "until 60 days" but there were also dates underneath, so I wasn't sure if those dates were the dates of arrival or departure. Anyway when I left they told me I overstayed my visa and was taken to the migration police, lucky for me it was late in the night and they didn't seemed too concerned, and after negociating they let me go saying that if I did that again there would be a big fine and possible legal actions. I never got and answer from them regarding the visa period but next time I guess I better ask them on arrival to be sure!
0 x