Easter in Kazakhstan

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
CallumT

Easter in Kazakhstan

Post by CallumT »

After settling on a route through the stans my partner and I have realised we will be in Kazakhstan for easter. Neither of us are religious but we were wondering if easter is a big deal there.

Will there be anything of interest we should see or do? We will likely be in Astana or Almaty at the time.
0 x

walkingalmaty
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Easter in Kazakhstan

Post by walkingalmaty »

It depends on which Easter! The largest Christian congregation in Kazakhstan by far is the Russian Orthodox Church, which has a different calendar than the Protestant or Catholic Church. Russian Orthodox Christians call the holiday Paskha, and it's celebrated on April 8 this year.

If you are in Kazakhstan on that date, it's great. Just find a Russian Orthodox Church (the Ascension Cathedral in Almaty is an especially scenic location) and go the night before, on the 7th. Hundreds of people will be waiting with "easter cakes" and painted eggs and candles to be blessed by holy water from the priest.

On April 1, Easter as its celebrated in the western churches, you would be hard-pressed to find anything going on. The Protestant and Catholic communities in Kazakhstan are quite small, and I doubt there would be any public celebrations.
2 x

CallumT

Re: Easter in Kazakhstan

Post by CallumT »

Oh wow that sounds very interesting! We were expecting to depart Kazakhstan a couple of days before the 8th but maybe we will stay a little longer now. A week in between the two easters gives us just enough time to recover from all the chocolate.
0 x