Kazakhstan in August with a 6 year old child

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
lisalai

Kazakhstan in August with a 6 year old child

Post by lisalai »

Hi there, great website and fantastic information from the forums!
We are planning a visit to Kazaskhstan in August (European summer holidays) but my concern is the heat. The current plan is to fly to Astana spend a day or so there, then a sleeper train to Almaty where i'd like to visit the Charyn Canyon. However I believe the heat in August could be unbearable? We are in the UK so not exposed to the high heat, and I have concerns on my son who is only 6 and unsure how he will cope with potentially high temperatures, especially in the Canyon.
I have searched for a similar topic but there is no reference to the canyon. I believe Astana is further up so is cooler than the likes of Almaty which can get quite hot.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Kazakhstan in August with a 6 year old child

Post by steven »

Hi Lisa,

August should be a bit cooler already in Astana, but it can still get hot. Many people do not conflate Siberia with heat, but it does get hot in summer because of the lack of a moderating sea current so far from the ocean.

Really depends what time in August you are coming. Beginning of August is still full summer, but end of August is already a lot less hot. I don't recommend the canyon indeed if heat is a worry; spend time in the mountains, they are perfect at this time. Kolsai Lakes (try to avoid the weekends), Shymbulak. Turgen gorge is also really nice, especially for families.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

lisalai

Post by lisalai »

That's great thank you for the advice. Unfortunately we would be coming start of August so that would be an issue. I was thinking perhaps of Khrgyzstan instead, so will continue doing my research thank you again!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Kyrgyzstan is perhaps more suitable this time of year and easier to travel with kids - they will love the yurts, the sheep, the other kids - it's like a giant petting zoo/summer camp spot. Transport times are also shorter.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

fatimanorat

Post by fatimanorat »

Hi Lisa,

we are also planning on doing a similar trip, same time of year, with our 9 year old girl, fly to Astana, then to Almaty, then a trip to Krygystan for 5/6 days and back to almaty for some free time and flight back. Have you finalised your trip? also concerned about the heat in charyn canyon. Are you guys planning on doing an organised tour or by yourself?

Thanks, Fatima
0 x

lisalai

Post by lisalai »

HI Fatima, that would be great! Currently our plans at to visit Astana and Alamty but just for 1-2 days each. Then spend 4-5 days in Kygystan. I have had a quote from a private tour company that Caravanistan have recommended, and it looks quite good! Let me send you a private message as this is public forum. Very sorry for the delayed response as I didn't see this message.
Cheers
Lisa
0 x

lisalai

Post by lisalai »

Fatima, i have emailed you can you let me know if you received it as i'm a bit confused as to if it sent or not!
0 x