Bayankol permits for Marble Wall Kazakhstan

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
steven
Admin
Admin

Bayankol permits for Marble Wall Kazakhstan

Post by steven »

Via e-mail:

I am going to visit Kazakhstan and I need a bit of help. Could you tell me how to get permit to pass Bayankol and a border post there? Do you have some informations about permit, way to get it, and in general about Marabe Wall and climbing it/getting there. It will be very nice, if you could help :).
Best wishes
Krystian from Poland

My response:

I think you do need a permit for that. You need to go to Migration Police OVIR to get the permit.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Bayankol permits for Marble Wall Kazakhstan

Post by steven »

I can ask around. Please send a quick message, contact details on the custom tours page. https://caravanistan.com/custom-tours/
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Heidi80

Bayankol

Post by Heidi80 »

Hi,

I read the Bayankol region is now free of permit, that makes me happy. But I also get confused because Its difficult to get information about the regions where you need to have a permit. Is this new? I try to read the Zakon.Kz list... but it's hard to understand where you can and can't go... and Bayankol is on the list... It seems al complicated to me.
We like to go there this summer (not for climbing any mountain)
thanks
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Bayankol

Post by Julia »

Things like that are complicated in Kazakhstan. I'd say it depends on the mood of the guards at the check point more than on your legal permissions.
I read report from last summer that some people got all neccessary permissions but the border guards didn't want to let them go.
I was in similar situation in different border zone. Had legal docs but a border guard didn't care or didn't know the rules.

I haven't heard that Bayankol is free of permit now. Maybe it's very new. But if it's so new I wouldn't take a risk and would prepare all necessary permits anyway.
2 x

saule
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Bayankol permits for Marble Wall Kazakhstan

Post by saule »

From a recent trip report (25.07.19) on this blog it seems that permit is still necessary. It was officially cancelled in 2015, but the border guards are not letting anyone in without the permit. Travellers still got stopped and weren`t allowed in, because there was a mistake in the document! After a couple of hours calling back and forth, they let them in... Precious time wasted.
You need to apply for it 30 days in advance in person in KGB office in Narynkol village and later go to Military post in Chundzha village. The service is free.
Another way is through a travel agency. Price is 19 200 tenge = 50 EUR.
We have a contact who can arrange the permit, but it comes together with a tour. Send your request via https://caravanistan.com/custom-tours/
1 x
Saule at Caravanistan team