Border-zone permit Ile Alatau

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
justi

Border-zone permit Ile Alatau

Post by justi »

Hello! Do you know how can I obtain a border zone permit for a trekking in Ile-Alatau NP? We want to go through Tourists Pass (piereval toristov) and for this trekking border-zone permit is needed.
0 x

tcarlyle

Re: Border-zone permit Ile Alatau

Post by tcarlyle »

So is the turistov pass at the border zone area? Any idea if the Zhusalykezen pass is as well?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I missed this post when it came on originally, it seems. Stories I have heard for getting a border permit seem to indicate: don't bother. Can you point out these passes on a map? I think you can go very far without trouble, but I am meeting a mountain climber tomorrow, will double check with him.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

tcarlyle

Post by tcarlyle »

The tourist pass is the one indicated in this hike: http://www.silkadv.com/en/content/left- ... lmaty-lake .

The Zhusalykezen is the one linking kosmostantsia (the observatory) and the Prokhodnaya valley (later converging in Alma -Arasan). Though, I just found out through the new lonely planet (https://books.google.no/books?id=_btEAw ... ss&f=false) that it has been paved and it seems that there is no need of permit for the Zhusalykezen pass.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

I happened to be in the area yesterday and met someone who camps on Pik Turistov every year in August. She said border guards might hassle you as a foreigner. Kazakhs are free to roam. I am sure there is a way around it (eg. 20 bucks). Will ask again today.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D