Sypatai Batyr (Chaldybar) border crossing (Kazakhstan-Kyrgyzstan)

All about Kazakhstan. Expert: walkingalmaty
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Sypatai Batyr (Chaldybar) border crossing (Kazakhstan-Kyrgyzstan)

Postby steven » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:19 am

Please read and post reports on the Sypatai Batyr (Chaldybar) border crossing between Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan below.

We summarize all info on the Kazakhstan border crossings and Kyrgyzstan border crossings pages.
0 x
Traveling: limited internet access 6-23 July.

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

ASpeed

Sypatai Batyr (Chaldybar) border crossing (Kazakhstan-Kyrgyzstan)

Postby ASpeed » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:01 am

We have just arrived in Bishkek, having ridden our motorcycles from Taraz & Merke in Kazakhstan through to Kayyngdy & Kara-Balta in Kyrgyzstan. Our map (Reise know how) didn't show it as a border crossing and our gps wanted to take us on the new M39 road loop to Korday but we took a chance. It was the easiest and quickest border crossing!! The whole process took about 45 minutes.

It seems that the majority of the 'traffic' entering Kyrgyzstan at this border crossing is on foot - we saw one truck come in after us, that's all. Not a single car.

On the Kazakhstan side, you need your Eurasian Customs Union document for temporary import of vehicles and other valuable goods (which we got when entering Russia and to which they have stuck a summary sticker and QRcode with all your information). They give you a customs exit form to complete with all the same information as you originally wrote when entering the Union. They stamp both and keep both forms and required sight of our passports and vehicle ownership documents.

We were then taken by a customs officer to the exit of the Kazakhstan immigration queue to leapfrog the queue, inside a building. It appears that this is the standard procedure as the truck driver did the same. Once done, customs went through one of our bags, asked if we carried a gun, and waived us away.

The Kyrgystan border is a few metres away. Once you have shown your passport (they look for the Kazak exit stamp - in our case, it confused them that we left Kazakhstan on an EU passport but wanted to come into Kyrgyzstan on Australian passports - that was for consistency across the Stans - but they decided to stamp our EU passports :-(. That process took less than 5 minutes and we were welcomed into Kyrgyzstan. There was no paperwork or forms to fill in. Too easy.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Kazakhstan-Kyrgyzstan border

Postby steven » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:46 am

Thank you. Is it what I call the Karasu border crossing on http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/kazakhstan/ ? Or a different one?
0 x

ASpeed

Postby ASpeed » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:53 pm

It's a different one Steven. It's a place called Chaldybar about 80-90kms directly west of Bishkek, between Merke in Kazakhstan and Kara-Baltynin Kyrgyzstan.
Cheers
Anne
0 x

Mikael

Postby Mikael » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks for the info, Anne.

Planning to take that one on my humble recumbent bicycle. :-)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:33 am

Ok, it's what I call Sypatai Batyr. Thank you for the report!
0 x

kyrgyznomad

Postby kyrgyznomad » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:02 am

Just an update on the border (Chaldovar or whatever you prefer to call it) between Bishkek and Taraz. I had a similar experience coming back from Kazakhstan to Kyrgyzstan, but not the other way around. I drove a Vito van from Bishkek to the Uzbek border loaded with two motorcycles and their riders who were escaping from inclement weather. We arrived at the border around 19:25 and entered the first part of the border around 23:30. There was a large line of vehicles exiting Kyrgyzstan and the local gangsters were accepting payouts to push you to the front (keeping everyone else from moving). I was asked three times for payment on the Kyrgyz side before we cleared and had to force my way back into line because the guard that we didn't pay said we'd have to wait until every single car had cleared.

In the no-man's land there were two pimped out merc cars shuttling between the sides acting as mobile offices for the local gangsters. Smuggling and payoffs were blatantly public. With burning trash and crowds of people it looked like something out of a post-apocalyptic movie. The Kazakh side was ok with the vehicles, but the passport control was less than controlled taking another hour of time elbowing and standing our ground to keep our places in line.

On my return trip after leaving the motorcyclists near the Uzbek border I was too exhausted to drive the loop to Kordai so I tried Chaldovar again figuring I'd just park and sleep if it was too bad. Started around 1:45 AM and cleared around 2:30 AM, no problems.

Just a word to the wise.
0 x
Living in Kyrgyzstan and hanging with nomads. http://ihn.kg

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks for the great report and for joining the forum!
0 x

kyrgyznomad

Postby kyrgyznomad » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:00 am

steven wrote:Thanks for the great report and for joining the forum!

Glad to help. And thank you to Saule for the referral yesterday.
0 x
Living in Kyrgyzstan and hanging with nomads. http://ihn.kg