Pets (dog) in Almaty & cross-country travels

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
p.etra

Pets (dog) in Almaty & cross-country travels

Postby p.etra » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi guys,
I am sure that my question potentially raises some questions for dog lovers and certainly also people who are familiar with the region country and people find the question stupid/naiv. However, I can't find any experience reports online and hope to find people here, who have already lived/traveled with pets in Kazakhstan and/or Kyrgyzstan themselves or can assess it from their travels. I plan to travel with my dog to Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan to get to know the country and its people. This may be immediately followed by a longer stay with a job offer in Almaty. Therefore, I intend to take my pet (a small labradoodle) with me already. Leaving aside visa & health certificate requirements for me and the dog (which are surely to research better still from my side), are the countries reasonably pet-friendly to the extent that I get my everyday life with dog there mastered? Are there problems with the animal when travelling through the country or crossing borders? Or can I live my life "as usual" with her, find dog food in the supermarket and can walk with her without any big problems?
Thank you in advance for sharing experiences, observations and any tip to my plan.
Regards,
p.etra
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Pets (dog) in Almaty & cross-country travels

Postby steven » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:27 am

Hi p.etra,

you can find dog food in big cities. Elsewhere, it's unlikely.

About crossing borders, what does every country require in terms of certificates, that is an interesting topic and I do not know the answer. I just haven't gotten any travelers yet who did it. So do let me know if you find out, it would be very helpful for future pet-travelers.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

p.etra

Re: Pets (dog) in Almaty & cross-country travels

Postby p.etra » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:54 am

Thank you, Steven. I will if I find out - hopefully before my travels, otherwise after ;)
0 x