Finding an apple forest

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
Iskander

Finding an apple forest

Postby Iskander » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:09 pm

Hello all,

I am planning to visit Almaty at the end of September and into early October. I would love to explore one of the world's original Apple forests in the Tien Shan mountains but I'm having difficulties finding out where exactly I need to go for this. Does anyone have any tips they can send my way about who I should be talking to with regard to planning a trip out to the Tien Shan to find some wild apples? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Finding an apple forest

Postby Julia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Unfortunately largest part of wild apple trees around Almaty was destroyed. People are building houses and infrastructure in the mountains near the city and remove trees.
Also this year wasn't very fruitful. Last weekend we went to a place where we usually pick up apples and didn't find any. Very low harvest of wild apples this year.

Sorry but I think it'll be hard to find wild apples close to Almaty. Maybe check Kok Zhailyau. It's famous spot. Apple trees grow there wildly but not sure if it's fruitful this year. Haven't checked it yet this fall. Two years ago we saw some apple fruits there.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Finding an apple forest

Postby steven » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:58 pm

I would also love to have gps locations for these forests, but I believe the forests around Almaty are not malus sieversiis, but a cultivated species. For the real malus sieversiis, I believe you need to go more in the direction of Zailiskiy Alatau. I have heard around Sarkand is a good place. But, I cannot say for certain and would love to learn more.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D