4 Days in Almaty, so Charyn Canyon or Kolsai Lakes?

All about Kazakhstan. Experts: Julia, walkingalmaty
kai

4 Days in Almaty, so Charyn Canyon or Kolsai Lakes?

Post by kai »

Hello everyone,

So basically I have 4 days in Almaty, and I am dedicating one day to explore the city itself while the last day is for the dreaded trip to the airport back home, which leaves me with 2 days for either Charyn Canyon or Kolsai Lakes.

Mind, I am not a huge fan of either lakes or canyons but to not admire the beauty of either when I'm already in Almaty would be a waste of a trip I reckon.

So if anyone has been to both or either can help me out, that would be really awesome. I would really appreciate your help. All opinions welcomed. Thank you.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: 4 Days in Almaty, so Charyn Canyon or Kolsai Lakes?

Post by steven »

They are very close to one another so you can do both and stay overnight at the lakes. This is what most people do.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

Hi. But why is your choice only between the lakes and the canyon?
Especially when you said you're not a fan of either. There are many other options too.
You can go to the Singing Dune and colorful Aktau mountains instead.
Or you can go to Turgen valler with famous Assy plateau and waterfalls.
Or you can see Big Almaty lake and Issyk lake. At least those are not too far from the city. Kolsay lakes are far and if you don't have a personal driver or car did you plan how to get there?
2 x

kai

Post by kai »

Hi Julia and Steven,

Thank you for your replies! Fair dinkum, I did mention that I was not a fan of either lakes or canyons but only because I have seen so many glowing reviews about Charyn and Kolsai and it has been said that it is a must do when in Almaty, so I wouldn't wanna miss out on such beauties because I don't know when I will come back to Almaty or Kazakhstan for that matter.

I have nothing booked yet for Almaty, I might join up with a local tour and do a 2 day 1 night trip?
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

Hi. There are group tours on weekends to Charyn, Kolsay, The Dunes and Turgen valley.
So you can choose any of them and go.
But during the week only individual guides can provide you with an individual tour. And it's much more expensive than weekend group tour.
I hope you planned your trip accordingly.
2 x