Adjusting to the altitude before Song Kol trek

All about Kyrgyzstan.
acsherman

Adjusting to the altitude before Song Kol trek

Postby acsherman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:04 pm

I'll be arriving in Kyrgyzstan from a sea-level North American city on a Friday. How long is recommended to adjust to the altitude before starting a trek to Song Kol via Kochkor? I was thinking of starting on Sunday or Monday. I'm a healthy male in my mid-20s if that matters. Is that too soon?
0 x

northinsouth1

Re: Adjusting to the altitude before Song Kol trek

Postby northinsouth1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:25 pm

I think this depends on two things: 1. From where in NA are you coming: it's a difference between Flagstaff or Estes Park vs. NYC or LA. 2. Where are you staying in KYZ? Per altitude, fitness doesn't necessarily correspond to altitude. I was able to hike Whitney w/out too much trouble. My wife, on the other hand, who has an enormous aerobic engine, really struggled and almost turned around. Have altitude pills on hand just in case.
1 x

acsherman

Postby acsherman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'm coming from NYC. I'm arriving in Bishkek on Friday evening, spending Saturday there, and heading to Kochkor. From Kochkor, I would trek 3-4 days to Song Kol. I'm not as concerned about the trekking aspect since the altitude change will be more gradual. It's moreso the travel to Bishkek and Kochkor. In any case, I'll be drinking lots of water and hoping for the best...
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Postby Julia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:41 am

Hi.
Keep in mind that it's dry continental climate here. And usually people adjust to higher altitudes easier in dry climates.
I don't know how reliable info I read but according to it altitude sickness can begin at about 1500 m for humid climate and 2500 - 3000 m for dry climate.
Kochkor is much below. And you're trekking up gradually.
Of course, it also depends on your body. Generally, avoid alcohol and coffee if have issues with the altitude.
1 x

acsherman

Postby acsherman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Julia wrote:Hi.
Keep in mind that it's dry continental climate here. And usually people adjust to higher altitudes easier in dry climates.
I don't know how reliable info I read but according to it altitude sickness can begin at about 1500 m for humid climate and 2500 - 3000 m for dry climate.
Kochkor is much below. And you're trekking up gradually.
Of course, it also depends on your body. Generally, avoid alcohol and coffee if have issues with the altitude.

Very helpful, thanks!
0 x