Dirty (corrupt) police

All about Kyrgyzstan.
ccc

Re: Dirty (corrupt) police

Post by ccc »

No any bad experience during my stay last year in Kyrgyzstan and police was polite.

Great country and local people!
0 x

B7474U3

Re: Dirty (corrupt) police

Post by B7474U3 »

I’ve just got back from Kyrgyzstan and had no issues with police.

Around Bishkek I noticed very few police and those I did see were uninterested in me (or anyone else for that matter).

I did see two uniformed police in Osh Bazaar (again completely disinterested in me and my camera). There was a Police Office at the main entrance to Osh Bazaar so if you are stopped by police not in uniform you could always insist on being taken there - at least then you know it will be real police you are dealing with - although there don’t seem to be many / any reports of issues with police in Osh Bazaar anymore.

Outside of Bishkek there were a lot of traffic cameras and traffic police doing speed checks. My driver got stopped for doing 62 in a 60. Apparently the police wanted 100 Som - although the fine was only 300 Som so my driver opted for a ticket since they did not want to bribe the police. Apparently the ticket can be paid online or at automated machines (I assume the ones you see inside supermarkets?).
0 x