Karakol (Ala-Kul lake) vs Song Kul Lake

All about Kyrgyzstan.
Rums

Karakol (Ala-Kul lake) vs Song Kul Lake

Post by Rums »

Hi All - I have time to choose one destination in Kyrgyzstan - Karakol (Ala-Kul lake) vs Song Kul Lake. which one would you recommend? Is Song Kul Lake worth it?
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Karakol (Ala-Kul lake) vs Song Kul Lake

Post by Christian77 »

Two very different trips. Song Kul is easy rolling hills with some steep but not too hard sections. Nice big wide panorama at top. Ala-Kol is very, very steep and rocky. Steep up, steep down. Some people find Ala-Kol pass very hard. Song Kol is more leisurely. You can do it on horseback.
0 x

Rums

Post by Rums »

Christian77 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:40 am
Two very different trips. Song Kul is easy rolling hills with some steep but not too hard sections. Nice big wide panorama at top. Ala-Kol is very, very steep and rocky. Steep up, steep down. Some people find Ala-Kol pass very hard. Song Kol is more leisurely. You can do it on horseback.
Thanks Chirstian for the quick reply. Are the views better in Song Kul or Ala-Kol?
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

I would look at photos online and choose for yourself. Where I'm from, there are many, many lakes like Ala-Kol, but none like Song-Kol. So I preferred Song Kol because it was so different. But I think most tourists prefer Ala-Kol.
0 x

Atkudabrat2

Post by Atkudabrat2 »

One important thing not mentionned

Songkul has multiple dirt roads access = cars coming up there
Depending on the timing there are some drunks or people playing loud music's at night..the only place in Khirghizstan were nomads tried to overcharge kumiss or meals.

Tourists place,windy full of drunks..hang out place for Bishkek,Almaty people + tourists..locals only there to do business..can find real nomads elsewhere but if you have never been there you should go. You can rent a horse,etc...

Ala kul only trekkers mostly foreigners doing a counter clockwise tour (long day hike)

That hike is touristic so there are many camps (3-4hours hike and you will come into a yurt camp set up for trekkers) where you could show up and pay for food/accommodation...if they are not full they will take you

The only "hard" or dangerous spot at ala kul will be the way down to altyn arashan..it could be dangerous depending on weather conditions..use of hands might be required...heavy backpack not recommended...

If the way down sounds too scary if starting counter clockwise you can turn around if you timed it well..
1 x

Rums

Post by Rums »

Atkudabrat2 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:02 pm
One important thing not mentionned

Songkul has multiple dirt roads access = cars coming up there
Depending on the timing there are some drunks or people playing loud music's at night..the only place in Khirghizstan were nomads tried to overcharge kumiss or meals.

Tourists place,windy full of drunks..hang out place for Bishkek,Almaty people + tourists..locals only there to do business..can find real nomads elsewhere but if you have never been there you should go. You can rent a horse,etc...

Ala kul only trekkers mostly foreigners doing a counter clockwise tour (long day hike)

That hike is touristic so there are many camps (3-4hours hike and you will come into a yurt camp set up for trekkers) where you could show up and pay for food/accommodation...if they are not full they will take you

The only "hard" or dangerous spot at ala kul will be the way down to altyn arashan..it could be dangerous depending on weather conditions..use of hands might be required...heavy backpack not recommended...

If the way down sounds too scary if starting counter clockwise you can turn around if you timed it well..
Thank you for the info
0 x

Rums

Post by Rums »

Christian77 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:10 pm
I would look at photos online and choose for yourself. Where I'm from, there are many, many lakes like Ala-Kol, but none like Song-Kol. So I preferred Song Kol because it was so different. But I think most tourists prefer Ala-Kol.
Thank you
0 x