Osh - Son Köl - Karakol

All about Kyrgyzstan.
joncks

Osh - Son Köl - Karakol

Post by joncks »

Hello,
We would like to travel from Osh to Son Köl and then onwards to Karakol. What would be the fastest way to travel over land from Osh to Son Köl? I guess organising private transport. Any idea how much it would cost, how long it would take and who to contact? How long would it take by public transport and where would we have to get connections? And same questions for traveling from Son Köl to Karakol.
Thanks a lot!
0 x

willemspie

Re: Osh - Son Köl - Karakol

Post by willemspie »

Public transport is notoriously difficult from Osh towards the North East, especially Kazarman Naryn. By public transport, it is easier to return to Bishkek.
I read there is well a flight between Osh and Lake Issyk Kol'
1 x

Aus

Post by Aus »

1 x

Aus

Post by Aus »

Thank you for the information.
0 x

Teddy B

Post by Teddy B »

FYI

I have just come through this way, and this is my experience.

Osh to Kazarman = no problem. Get a bus/mat to Jalal abab. From there you can get a shared taxi to Kazarman for between 800-1000 som

Kazarman to the North side of Song Kol [easiest way to lake as you can walk in from Kyzart] = there is now a tarmac road on this route; don't believe the CBT rep in Arsalanbob who says that its not been built as he just wants to sell you the CBT pick-up service from their Kockkor office!...this route is with a shared taxi with the drivers in Kazarman initially quoting 5000, the real price appears to be around 1000 som

Lake to Kochkor = No choice but to taxi, hitch [with tourists if they stop], or walk [do no do this its awful..yes I did and wish I hadn't]. To save costs you could taxi down to Sary Bulak and then get a shared vehicle from there.

Kochkor to Karakol = Mats.
2 x

Nik1

Post by Nik1 »

Teddy B wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:11 pm
FYI

I have just come through this way, and this is my experience.

Osh to Kazarman = no problem. Get a bus/mat to Jalal abab. From there you can get a shared taxi to Kazarman for between 800-1000 som

Kazarman to the North side of Song Kol [easiest way to lake as you can walk in from Kyzart] = there is now a tarmac road on this route; don't believe the CBT rep in Arsalanbob who says that its not been built as he just wants to sell you the CBT pick-up service from their Kockkor office!...this route is with a shared taxi with the drivers in Kazarman initially quoting 5000, the real price appears to be around 1000 som

Lake to Kochkor = No choice but to taxi, hitch [with tourists if they stop], or walk [do no do this its awful..yes I did and wish I hadn't]. To save costs you could taxi down to Sary Bulak and then get a shared vehicle from there.

Kochkor to Karakol = Mats.
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to do that route in one day?
0 x

Teddy B

Post by Teddy B »

Hi,

depends how early you start, and if you are prepared to pay for spare seats in the taxi.

Times would be as follows [from memory]:

Osh to Jebel Abel [90 mins by mashruka]
JA mash station to JA shared taxi station for Karuman [15 mins by taxi]
JA sts to Karuman by shared taxi [~ 4hrs]
Karuman STS to Kyzart junction by shared taxi [~ 3hrs on good/new road]
Kyzart junction to first camp NOT on lake [~ 4hrs fast hiking, although there are wild camping spots ~1-2hrs walking]

So 'Money no object budget' ~10-11hrs min....better to Brake journey In Karuman theN!
0 x

Nik1

Post by Nik1 »

Here is my experience from yesterday and today (2 pax).
Let me start and say this route is really tiresome and especially the route from Jalal Abad to Karzaman also quite dangerous. Just gravel road and very high in the mountains with no crash barriers or anything. I would recommend to avoid it and go via Bishkek. Also we didn't haggle too much for the prices since we just wanted to get to the north asap. Better prices are possible.
(Some prices in Euro since I don't remember local price and don't want to re-convert)

Our route: Day 1
Margilon - Andijon - Border: 2,5-3h / 2 taxis / ~26€
Border - Jalal Abad: 2h / shared taxi (local family ride share) / 13€

Overnight in J-Abad:
Organized a taxi for next day to Kazarman after arrival in J-A. We went to the bus station close to the Bazar: "Avtobeket
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2FdDeoT8Y7eDjnbq5 "
Found one guy to pick us up at our guesthouse at 8:00 am. Negotiation started with 1500 Som per seat, we bought remaining two seats as well for total of 5000 Som. Try to find a well maintained car! Very tough route.

Day 2:
J-Abad - Karzaman: 3h / Taxi / 5000 Som
Karzaman - Kochkor: 4h / taxi / 6000 Som
Very fast drivers.

Karzaman is no-man's-land so try not to get stuck there - leave early enough in JA. Our driver to Karzaman offered to go on to Kochkor which we accepted. He then found some other guy who took us instead. The first part of the road from Karzaman to Kochkor is brand new and very scenic. After 1-1,5h it starts with gravel road again, much roadwork to extend the good road surface

Be aware that the new road is not on Google maps, try maps.me instead. the route we took went also thorough Kyzart. From there it's 1-1,5 h to Kochkor

Hope this helps
0 x