Bishkek to Shymkent

All about Kyrgyzstan.
Gareth

Bishkek to Shymkent

Post by Gareth »

Hi all,

Thanks for looking at this. I need to travel on Friday 17th from Bishkek to Shymkent. I'm staying overnight in Shymkent on 18th before moving on to Uzbekistan. I can leave at any time but perhaps overnighter would be most convenient. Anyone have information about the bus? I found a website with info on the Shymkent to Bishkek journey but not the return. If anyone can help: How much is it to get to Shymkent? What time does it leave? Alternatively, how much is a taxi for the route? How easy it that to arrange?

It'll be my first time in Central Asia. Most of it I've already organised but this is one of a couple of things that I need a clearer idea about.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Many thanks
Gareth
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Bishkek to Shymkent

Post by steven »

Here is a discussion on your options: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1890
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Thank you Steven. That's useful
0 x

mayyj

Post by mayyj »

Hey travelers! In case anyone is still interested in traveling between Bishkek and Shymkent, want to share my travel experience for more recent updates as I was trying to look through Caravanistan forums to figure out travel.

I traveled from Shymkent to Bishkek on July 8, 2023 (Saturday)
1. Bus from Shymkent (Samal bus station) to Taraz (Taraz bus station) - look for the minibus with "Taraz/тараз". It will leave once it is full, took about 30-60 min for me. Fare was 1800 tenge
2. Bus from Taraz to Korday/Kordai - look for the minibus with "кордай". Again, it will leave once full. Fare was 2500 tenge. It will drop you off right in front of the border crossing, which you need to cross on foot. It is a two-stop border. This is the same border crossing that you take from Almaty to Bishkek. I originally thought of doing the Taraz to Talas (KG) border crossing, but the locals recommended going through Kordai
3. After the KY/KG Kordai Border Crossing, take a marshuka or taxi to Bishkek. I don't remember which marshuka I took as a lovely local woman was taking me along, but I think if you just ask for Bishkek it should be pretty easy. Marshuka was 15 som. There are also currency exchanges at the border, or you can wait until you get into Bishkek, where the rates are probably better.

I think you can do the same thing in reverse if you are trying to get to Shymkent from Bishkek. A couple of other notes for those traveling from Bishkek to Shymkent or visa versa:
- there is still a bus between the two, but it leaves very infrequently. For those going from Shymkent to Bishkek, the bus leaves at 9pm from Samal bus station and is 7000 tenge. It is an overnight bus
- there is still a train between the two cities but only leaves on certain days and is an overnight train. There is no fast train, only slow train.

Hope it helps!
May
2 x

moldrickx

Post by moldrickx »

Hi May (poster above)
Thanks so much for posting your info.
Can I ask how long this trip took? We are hoping to get from Bishkek to Shymkent in mid-October this year and having trouble figuring it out.
Looks like the train won't work for us and can't find much info about a direct bus?
Cheers
0 x

cpac

Post by cpac »

the last time I’ve checked, there were overnight buses, every second day, but in case you’d need to travel on the other day, just take a bus to Tashkent, and ask to disembark around shymkent, they all pass through..
The buses leave western bus station around 9-11 pm”ish, but can visit the station earlier to buy the ticket
1 x

ch2001

Bishkek to Shymkent?

Post by ch2001 »

Does anyone know if there is any daytime transport from Bishkek to Shymkent? I know there is a night bus, but I would prefer not to do that. Are there any buses/marshrutkas/shared taxis to Shymkent during the day?
0 x