To gear or not to gear?

All about Kyrgyzstan.
sossity

To gear or not to gear?

Post by sossity »

Hi everyone,

We're planning a backpacking trip through Kyrgyzstan where we'll do some hiking before travelling onward to sun-drenched Uzbekistan. So, we certainly would like to avoid lugging our not-so-ultralight camping gear and just stay in a yurt along the trails. Possible hiking routes include: Kyzart to Son Kul over Kilemche (one-way, renting won't be an option) and guided/unguided one or two-day hikes in the Pamirs. Is it really a terribly bad idea not to bring our gear?

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Q#2: Now that I have you. Has anyone gone to Tash Rabat from Son Kul south shore by getting a cab at Baetov or Ak-Tal, instead of coming from Naryn in the east? Again, thanks for any input.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: To gear or not to gear?

Post by steven »

1: why is renting not an option to Song Kul? Just leave your gear at the yurt and the tour company will pick it up later or have it brought down in a taxi. I wouldn't bother bringing your gear.

2: can definitely be arranged with a tour company. Not sure that you will just find a taxi driver waiting around there.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

sossity

Post by sossity »

Hi Steven,

Thanks a lot for the tips. I wasn't aware that dropping the gear at a yurt could be an option. We're definitely going gearless then :)
0 x

acsherman

Post by acsherman »

steven wrote:1: why is renting not an option to Song Kul? Just leave your gear at the yurt and the tour company will pick it up later or have it brought down in a taxi. I wouldn't bother bringing your gear.

2: can definitely be arranged with a tour company. Not sure that you will just find a taxi driver waiting around there.
Hi Steven -- I'm also considering leaving my sleeping bag at home to cut down on baggage. Are sleeping bags rentable? I'm planning on during yurt homestays in August, and it seems like they generally have blankets, but it seems like a sleeping bag is preferable. If I were to rent a sleeping bag, I'd probably bring my own sleeping bag liner.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Are sleeping bags rentable? Yes.

Plenty of blankets available always, it gets cold in winter.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D