Written Car off in Kyrgyzstan - Mongol Rally

All about Kyrgyzstan.
Donut

Written Car off in Kyrgyzstan - Mongol Rally

Post by Donut »

Hi Folks,

My friend and I are currently in Osh, Kyrgyzstan having written our car off a couple of days ago in an accident following a mechanical failure.

We were wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do next? We have been in touch with a fixer who put us in contact with a scrap dealer of sorts who is trying to find us someone to donate the car (Peugeot 205) to.

The issue we have is when we entered Kyrgyzstan we said we would be here at most 5 days, and the scrap dealer said he won't be able to find someone until late Monday evening - late on the fifth day in Kyrgyzstan leaving us little room for error.

Our passport stamps have 5 and <5 written on them, we are assuming this is the 5 days. Is it going to present a major problem if we cannot arrange disposal of the car in time and leave after this 5 days? Does anyone know of someone who can help dispose of the car? It starts and does move but is no longer drivable or repairable.

Thanks,

Matt
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Written Car off in Kyrgyzstan - Mongol Rally

Post by steven »

Hi Matt,

I assume the 5 days refers to the car, perhaps you did not pay import tax as you were only passing through? For yourselves, you are probably on the visa-free regime, which gives you 60 days in the country. If you show your documents saying your car is a total loss, it should be alright, imo. Of course, it's a special case, so cannot say for sure.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

jacoub

Re: Written Car off in Kyrgyzstan - Mongol Rally

Post by jacoub »

Donut wrote:Hi Folks,

My friend and I are currently in Osh, Kyrgyzstan having written our car off a couple of days ago in an accident following a mechanical failure.

We were wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do next? We have been in touch with a fixer who put us in contact with a scrap dealer of sorts who is trying to find us someone to donate the car (Peugeot 205) to.

The issue we have is when we entered Kyrgyzstan we said we would be here at most 5 days, and the scrap dealer said he won't be able to find someone until late Monday evening - late on the fifth day in Kyrgyzstan leaving us little room for error.

Our passport stamps have 5 and <5 written on them, we are assuming this is the 5 days. Is it going to present a major problem if we cannot arrange disposal of the car in time and leave after this 5 days? Does anyone know of someone who can help dispose of the car? It starts and does move but is no longer drivable or repairable.

Thanks,

Matt
Hi there if you decide to just leave you car or sell it for scrap you dont need to provide any information about the car when leaving the country, when exiting in the boarder they will not ask about the car,they usually have two windows one is for just passports and one is for customs. In any case if asked for you can say that you will return later and exit as you have one year period to exit. As long as the person entering in the car doesnt plan to visit in a car to kyrgystan it doesnt really matter if you just leave it there , if you do in anycase there will be a fine thats all.

Hope that info helps ))

Good Luck
1 x