4G signal boosting for van in Kyrgyzstan

All about Kyrgyzstan.
bwwjohnson

4G signal boosting for van in Kyrgyzstan

Post by bwwjohnson »

Hi all,

I'm travelling out to Kyrgyzstan for fieldwork in 2 weeks, and am based in the UK. My colleague who's out there has asked if I can get a 4G signal booster for our van, as it's useful for us to view satellite imagery of the areas we're travelling.

Most of the US/EU 4G boosters I've looked at seem to boost the wrong frequency bands to work in Kyrgyzstan. Does anyone on here have recommendations on a 4G booster for a van that will work in Kyrgyzstan, and can either reach the UK in two weeks or be picked up in country?

Cheers
Ben
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: 4G signal boosting for van in Kyrgyzstan

Post by Christian77 »

I know nothing about 4G signal boosters, but I do use offline downloaded satellite images on the ground. It's a mix of cached Google satellite maps and one of the maps apps (Caltopo) I used that can save satellite imagery to my phone or computer for offline use (Maxar and weekly Sentinel images). There are a bunch of other map apps that can do similar thing. Aside from that I of course use offline maps like OsmAnd.
1 x

bwwjohnson

Re: 4G signal boosting for van in Kyrgyzstan

Post by bwwjohnson »

Hi Christian77,

Thanks for your reply, those offline maps sources are really helpful.

Part of what we're doing involves planning drone surveys using fly.teofly.com and Litchi where the basemaps need internet to load (unless you do some cacheing ahead of time by zooming into places you might be going that don't have signal) but just having satellite imagery offline is really helpful too.
0 x