Irkeshtam Pass: Kyrgyzstan (Osh - Sary Tash) to China (Kashgar)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Mignon_travels

Irkeshtam Pass: Kyrgyzstan (Sary Tash) to China (Kashgar) - October 2019

Post by Mignon_travels »

We crossed the Irkhestam border (from Kyrgyzstan to China) in October 2019. Here are some important tips to keep in mind when you decide to go there. For the description of our experience hour by click here:

https://mignontravels.com/irkeshtam-bor ... nto-china/

Everything You Need to Know Before Crossing Irkeshtam Border

- Crossing the border from Kyrgyzstan into China can be tricky due to different time zones: the Chinese borders use Beijing time which is 2 hours ahead of Kyrgyzstan one. Also, once you are in the Chinese territory you will cross two borders: Irkeshtam pass or China Immigration Inspection, where your belongings will be checked and you will be asked questions, and Ulugqat-City border, where another control will be done and your passport will be stamped. Bear in mind that the two borders are 140 km far from each other.

- Both the Chinese Immigration Inspection (Irkeshtam) and the Chinese border (Ulugqat) have a lunch break from 13.30-16.30 in summer and 14.00-16.00 in winter (both Beijing time). Both borders are said to close at at 20.00 in summer and 19.30 in winter.

- It takes 1 hour and a half to go from Irkeshtam to Ulugqat. Open up your eyes while driving across that piece of land, you'll see what the Chinese government is trying to hide to international media

Having those timetables in mind,

- You should get to Irkeshtam before 11.30 (kirghiz time) otherwise you are stuck there till 14.30, that is 16.30 Being time.

- If you pass the control in Irkeshtam before the break but notice you won't get Ulugqat before 13.30 or 14.00 (Beijing time), just stay there to have lunch in a café because at Ulugqat there is nothing! Also, even if you get to Ulugqat right before the break, they may let you in but won't process your documents, so you'll have to wait for 3 hours anyway.

- The price from Irkeshtam to Ulugqat is said to be fixed at 400 CNY/RMB. You can try to bargain if there is more than one taxi drivers around and you have time to spare. Also, in high season you can group up and save money. We were alone and paid the full price but we met some people in Kashgar who told us that they took a minibus because there were around 15 people there and paid 100 CNY each. They crossed the border two days before us, so it's really a matter of luck.

- Leave Sary-Tash early in the morning, at 6 or 6.30 am, to try to get Ulugqat border before the break (but we don't know if the Kirgyz border is open before 8am, probably it is; it opens officially at 8 am).
    We were told that there is a marshrutka that leaves from Osh at 14:00 and takes seven hours to get to Noura, before the Kyrgyz border. You can then sleep there and go to the border the day after. But we cannot guarantee it.
    1 x

Cassarian

Torugart and Irkeshtam passes: are they open?

Post by Cassarian »

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to Xinjiang, especially in cities like Kashgar, Hotan, Kuqa, etc.

The direct flight tickets to Urumqi (from Europe) are incredibly expensive, so I'm trying to understand how to get to China from Kyrgyzstan.

I know that there are two passes, Torugart and Irkeshtam, both close to Kashgar.

But are they open? Is it possible to reach those passes from cities like Bishkek or Osh, maybe with a Marshrutka?

I have completed the vaccination cycle, so I hope to travel easily and without obstacles.

Many thanks to everyone for your help!
    0 x

Nikopol

Re: Torugart and Irkeshtam passes: are they open?

Post by Nikopol »

They are closed now and AFAIK China mandates all arrivals to enter mandatory quarantine and suspended tourist visa early last year.
    1 x

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Hi,

Since March 14th and Chinese's border reopening, those both Torugart and Irkeshtam passes from Kyrgyzstan to China should be reopened.

I’m planned to cross the border on August, but I still need a prove of my trip plan for Chinese’s visa request. CBT Naryn told me today that they do not provide any more transportation to the border. Is anyone has information about CBT Osh or other agencies ?

Otherwise, is that so difficult to cross by own means Torugart or Irkeshtam passes?

Thanks a lot 😊
    0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

Nobody has passed there for 3 years ...
    0 x

TheNonFlyingDutchman

Post by TheNonFlyingDutchman »

Ok so… I read on either the forum or the caravanistan pages that the Torugart border is open but you need a guide or smth? And the Irkeshtam border is also open (no guide).

Since I’m trying to find the best way from Tashkent to china, I went to the Kyrgyz embassy to have a clear answer. This info costed me 2,5h of waiting for a 5min question, so I’m happy to share this with y’all ;)

The man at the Kyrgyz embassy in Tashkent told me the following:
    The Irkeshtam border is only open for commercial transport.
    The Torugart border is open for tourists. He didn’t know anything about a guide. ‘You can just cross’ he said.
    The border between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan is closed for everyone.
    He also said that flying would be the best 😅. But eho wants to fly anyways?

The amount of contradicting stories I’ve been hearing and reading about the borders in this region makes me just want to try and see what happens. If I discover more, I’ll surely report on the forum.
    1 x

Fahd

Post by Fahd »

Weird that Irkhetsham border is closed for tourists!
    0 x

TheNonFlyingDutchman

Fahd wrote:
    Fri May 12, 2023 12:00 am
    Weird that Irkhetsham border is closed for tourists!
    Honestly, I’ve been hearing so many contradicting stories about the tajik/kyrgyz/chinese borders that I came to a point that I don’t care anymore. I’ll just make my route to whichever border I want, and see if yhey let me through. And maybe the fact that I’d have to travel for 2 weeks to reach another border will work as leverage to make them allow me to pass. 🤷‍♂️

I’ll let you know in a couple of weeks
    0 x

bwv812
    China expert
    China expert

Post by bwv812 »

I would treat the embassy information as suspect.

He probably neither knows nor cares what the requirements on the Chinese side are, and that's the primary concern about Torugart. You also need a border to permit to approach the border from the Kyrgyz side, though that doesn't technically contradict what he said.

I'd be really surprised if Irkeshtam is closed.

And the Chinese aren't going to give 2 shits about your personal hardship, even if you can "negotiate" things on the Kyrgyz side.
    0 x

TheNonFlyingDutchman

bwv812 wrote:
    Fri May 12, 2023 8:16 pm
    I would treat the embassy information as suspect.

He probably neither knows nor cares what the requirements on the Chinese side are, and that's the primary concern about Torugart. You also need a border to permit to approach the border from the Kyrgyz side, though that doesn't technically contradict what he said.

I'd be really surprised if Irkeshtam is closed.

And the Chinese aren't going to give 2 shits about your personal hardship, even if you can "negotiate" things on the Kyrgyz side.
    Well, I’ll go and try my luck on the Tajik-Chinese border first. And last news I read, China opened their borders, so I assumed it’d be either a tajik or kyrgyz problem. I can’t ask it at the Chinese embassy though bc I’m trying to get my visa.

I’m just damn tired of making plans when everyone constantly says something different. I’ll just plan and see. And if that means I have to travel back for a long time, I guess it is what it is.

Plus I think this forum can benefit from some first handed info 😅
    1 x