hitchiking bishkek-issyk kul- south krygstan- dushanbe.

All about Kyrgyzstan.
noahakinci

hitchiking bishkek-issyk kul- south krygstan- dushanbe.

Postby noahakinci » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:11 am

Hi

If anyone has and information/ reccomendations about this, would love to hear them. Also if anyone is interested in joining get in touch!

Cheers
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: hitchiking bishkek-issyk kul- south krygstan- dushanbe.

Postby bwv812 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:13 pm

Although a form of hitch-hiking is common in Central Asia, getting a ride without paying is not at all normal. So while you can flag down rides without too much difficulty, there is an expectation that you will pay for the ride. If you are unwilling to pay, make this very clear before you get in the car, and expect confused or surprised locals. If you're white you might have more success (especially with more prosperous locals) as you'll be an interesting novelty.

Transportation in the area is pretty cheap, and things can take long enough even if you're willing to pay, so I'm not sure that hitching free rides is a sensible idea except for those who have lots and lots of time and very little money. I suspect that hitching through the Pamirs will be a virtual impossibility unless you get picked up by other tourists (foreign or local).
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

noahakinci

Postby noahakinci » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:45 pm

thanks very much for your post. why do you suspect it will be impossible in the pamirs?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:01 am

The population of the Pamirs is very low, and between Osh and Murghab and Murghab and Khorog almost all of the trips are made by share taxis who aren't going to take people for free. You might be able to hitch with one of the infrequent and slow trucks that carry barrels of fuel, but they'll probably want payment. If you're prepared to camp by the road and wait hours or days for a free ride, it's probably possible.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

noahakinci

Postby noahakinci » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:18 pm

thanks for your info. im just going to do it i think. i figured if you do get a ride, they are probably going somewhere with people at least, usually means warmth. shar taxis are fine aswel. thanks again
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:41 am

Bwv is right, but i have known plenty of dedicated hitchhikers who did it. They just wave on anyone who asks for money and wait until they get a free ride. In pamir, this means trucks to china.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:24 pm

steven wrote:Bwv is right, but i have known plenty of dedicated hitchhikers who did it. They just wave on anyone who asks for money and wait until they get a free ride. In pamir, this means trucks to china.

Well, I don't think there are many/any Chinese trucks between Sary Tash and Karakol (if not Murghab), as Chinese trucks mainly do Osh-Irkeshtam and Murghab-Qolma.

Also—and just to clarify—most drivers don't negotiate prices before you get in (or even before you arrive at your destination), so if you wait until they ask for money it will usually be too late: you must tell them you aren't willing to pay before you get in the car. I am firmly of the opinion that you should always pay (even if you bargain hard), because payment is universally expected and the money means a lot more to locals than it does even to cheapskates like me. (Of course if you get picked up by a rich local in a nice car who refuses your money and insists on no payment, that's another story.)
0 x

bremmo

Postby bremmo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:48 am

Be prepared to wait very, very long for a car or truck to even pass, because when we were there in September/October we saw maybe 5 cars on a whole day on the stretch from Sary Tash to Murghab. From Murghab to Khorog more Chinese trucks pass by but even they are sparse. Good luck
0 x

noahakinci

Postby noahakinci » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:40 am

thanks very much for all the intel. im going in november aswell so probably less traffic and more wolves. sounds perfect.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:58 am

bwv812 wrote:Well, I don't think there are many/any Chinese trucks between Sary Tash and Karakol (if not Murghab), as Chinese trucks mainly do Osh-Irkeshtam and Murghab-Qolma.

You're right, I did not think about that.

I am firmly of the opinion that you should always pay (even if you bargain hard), because payment is universally expected and the money means a lot more to locals than it does even to cheapskates like me.[/quote]

I agree with you, I am not a hitchhiker myself and I am also often disgusted by the lengths people (usually from very wealthy countries) will go to to make sure poor people will not make a cent out of them. Especially grating when they carry a 500$ camera. But I try to be open-minded and help everyone regardless of ideology.

The worst I saw once was in Cambodia, where a young German asked the owner of a coffee shop we were having a drink to write in Khmer something to the effect of. "I do not pay for food or transport. Can you give me rice and a lift?" The guy, who lost his legs in the Khmer Rouge time, was so friendly to help him. I would have set him on fire. Disgusting.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D