Roads Out of Osh

All about Kyrgyzstan.
WiganDan

Roads Out of Osh

Post by WiganDan »

Hello,

I'm currently in Bukhara, heading to Osh in a few days.

Does anyone have any experience of where you can travel to from Osh, and the routes?

Some of the places I'm open to visiting are Bokonbayevo, Karakol, Naryn, Toktogul, Kyzart. I've seen some photos of some recent conditions out of Osh to Bishkek so appreciate some may not be possible.

Travelling with a 130l backpack and 50l backpack, main concern is transport out of the latter three at this time of year.

If anyone is in a similar area feel free to tag along, also happy to change my route if anyone who sees this is looking to share a ride.

Thanks
0 x

OWNER

Re: Roads Out of Osh

Post by OWNER »

Hello!
You can drive almost all over Kyrgyzstan in winter, just like in summer. I went to Naryn in December, the roads are cleared of snow. True, it was four years ago, but I don’t think it has become worse now. From Naryn I drove to the Chinese border (Torugart Pass), the road was excellent, the air temperature was -28 degrees.

But for such a trip, you already need a pass to the border zone. From Torugart I wanted to drive along the Chinese border to the Kyndy Pass, but that was impossible. You can see all the photos from this trip here.

As for the road from the city of Osh to the south, this is the Pamir Highway, along which you can drive almost to the Kyzylart Pass. More precisely - to the border point of Bordaba. This does not require a pass to the border zone, but the crossing itself to Tajikistan is closed. Almost all of this road is very good and traffic is maintained on it in winter. You can see photos and videos of the trip from Osh to the border here.

So you can drive almost everywhere, but I don’t understand what to do there in winter ...
2 x

WiganDan

Re: Roads Out of Osh

Post by WiganDan »

Thank you!

Some great reports you’ve posted!

I’ve been sent a telegram group for organising transport, seems to be people posting in there every minute so hopefully should be able to find something.
0 x