Bring a hammock/tent or no?

All about Kyrgyzstan.
Orangetack

Bring a hammock/tent or no?

Post by Orangetack »

Hello
I will be travelling Central Asia later this year and that includes wanting to hitchhike through more rural areas of Kyrgyzstan. Most of these I expect will not have any official accommodation. But I was wondering whether I could get away without bringing a hammock or tent, and instead just asking in villages if there is someone who has spare room for me to sleep in their house or yurt (for a fee of course). For people who have had experience travelling in Kyrgyzstan, is this viable?
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Bring a hammock/tent or no?

Post by Christian77 »

This is not hammock country, despite the photos you may see of certain areas with trees. The vast majority is overwhelmingly treeless.

If you are headed to areas not frequented by tourists, I would not always count on finding accommodation. Maybe if you are fluent in Russian and very charismatic/likable, you can do well. But the charms of foreign tourists do not work on all people here.

I realize it's tempting to do away with the bulk and weight of a tent, sleeping mat and a sleeping bag, but you may find yourself really wishing you had those items.
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

It depends where you want to go. For hiking/trekking off the beaten track, yes, carry a complete camping equipment.
0 x

Orangetack

Post by Orangetack »

willemspie wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:47 am
It depends where you want to go. For hiking/trekking off the beaten track, yes, carry a complete camping equipment.
Thanks for the responses.

I definitely don't intend to trek in non-touristy areas. I do intend to hitchhike the less popular roads from Bishkek to Osh, though, and sleep somewhere along the way. So I can't count on being able to ask someone in a roadside village if there's anyone who'd be willing to put me up for a fee?
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

When hitch hiking in most cases the vehicle brings you to a town where there is accomodation, or public transport to continue. I've never camped along a road actually, only while trekking.
0 x

Overlander1976

Post by Overlander1976 »

Be sure to close the tent properly. Between Bishkek and Osh there are scorpions that are guaranteed to find the entrance. That's how I experienced it......
0 x