Take USD or use ATM on arrival / SIM Card (which one) / Prescription Medications.

All about Kyrgyzstan.
bender

Re: Take USD or use ATM on arrival / SIM Card (which one) / Prescription Medications.

Post by bender »

LifeBehindBars wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:33 pm
Hello,

First timer to Central Asia. Traveling from New Zealand.
Arriving in to Bishkek early August and have transport arranged to take myself and my Bicycle through to Karakol - I plan to ride The Tian Shan Traverse back to Bishkek.....maybe some other loose plans, but nothing definite yet.

I have a few questions:-
1) Is it best to bring USD or Euro with me to exchange, or can I rely on ATM's on arrival for local currency. Being a Kiwi, I don't really want to go through 2 currencies to get the local currency, so hoping that ATM will be fine??

2) I'd like to pick up a Local SIM card for my time in Kyrgyzstan - is there a preferred Telco that is easy to set up with good coverage?

3) How easy is it to buy prescription medication across the counter in Kyrgyzstan? When traveling in developing countries I like to pick up a broad spectrum antibiotic to use if / when I get sick (I usually buy Ciprofloxacin to cover all the nasties)

Thanks in advance if you can help me out.
Cheers,
Steve.
Bring USD. In Asia countries preffers USD than €. There are ATMS but many of them belong to Russian banks so your card may not work.
There are Turkish banks too. Demir Bank is good.
Best SIM is Beeline or O! (Oszka) which belongs to Nur Telekom.
If you want to buy medication, go to the hospital. There is no problem to get a prescription. You will pay 500KGS or nothing, How much you want.
They will help you. Mostly in Bishkek. Outside of Bishkek and Osh, it could be difficult to get medical help. My friend, he is living in Karakol.
When he fell ill, he had to travel five hours by car from Karakol to Bishkek for help.
1 x

Chegio

Re: Take USD or use ATM on arrival / SIM Card (which one) / Prescription Medications.

Post by Chegio »

LifeBehindBars wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:33 pm
Hello,

First timer to Central Asia. Traveling from New Zealand.
Arriving in to Bishkek early August and have transport arranged to take myself and my Bicycle through to Karakol - I plan to ride The Tian Shan Traverse back to Bishkek.....maybe some other loose plans, but nothing definite yet.

I have a few questions:-
1) Is it best to bring USD or Euro with me to exchange, or can I rely on ATM's on arrival for local currency. Being a Kiwi, I don't really want to go through 2 currencies to get the local currency, so hoping that ATM will be fine??

2) I'd like to pick up a Local SIM card for my time in Kyrgyzstan - is there a preferred Telco that is easy to set up with good coverage?

3) How easy is it to buy prescription medication across the counter in Kyrgyzstan? When traveling in developing countries I like to pick up a broad spectrum antibiotic to use if / when I get sick (I usually buy Ciprofloxacin to cover all the nasties)

Thanks in advance if you can help me out.
Cheers,
Steve.

Hi! how was it? I am doing the same route but starting from Tash Rabat, in September.
Two questions:

1) how did you arrange the transport from Bishkek to Karakol?

2) what was your experience with ATM? Were you able to get the money?
0 x