Altyn Arashan, Song-kul Lake, Issy-kul lake in winter information (including accomodation)

All about Kyrgyzstan.
Adamtiffany

Altyn Arashan, Song-kul Lake, Issy-kul lake in winter information (including accomodation)

Post by Adamtiffany »

Hi everyone,
Trying to fill gaps of knowledge for this forum

I have just completed this trip last week with lots of ???? Around availability of any accommodation on the internet on any of the places mentioned In the title.
So, here's the answers

Altyn Arashan is an easy 15km one way hike (last 2.5km is steep but manageable) . There is one place that remains open in winter called "altyn Arashan hotel " which also has thermal springs in its grounds with bunk bed/hostel style accommodation which is great and costs 2000kgs (€20.50) each and has quite a lot of room. This stay In the winter with the snow is absolutely incredible! I think better then in the summer.
To get in contact with this place, we stayed at memos guesthouse in Kalkara who rang the owner (russian guy who speaks fluent English, lovely accommodation too and very knowledgeable about the surrounding area).

Issy-kul lake was not available due to lack of access due to heavy snow (when the locals say they won't attempt it...we listened) . Can't confirm about any accommodation from this but you can get there from altyn Arashan.

Song-kul lake still has yurts available to stay in throughout the year. I asked even in heavy snow and they said they will never close 😂. Anyway, great news! . We stayed with a guy called Timur (+996 553 223 288) who is based in kyzart. We stayed at his guesthouse and went by horseback 22km (about 5-6 hours) over the mountain pass (incredible in winter!) . The accomodation is warm with oven inside and two very thick duvets (I wasn't cold at night, and it was -20c ) . 2 nights (one night at guest house, one in yurt) including all meals and horse cost was 21,500 kgs (€208.70) for two people, slightly expensive but for the level of experience and beauty is absolutely unrivalled! There was no other tourists! Please note you will need waterproof boots (snow) , thermal trousers, very thick socks (maybe 3 pairs!) A proper down jacket /thermal jacket , waterproof thermal/ski gloves , hat and probably a balaclava as it is cold in the mountain pass!

For pictures on this adventure or further advice or questions, my Instagram is adamtiffany1989

Hope this helps people!
3 x

emdethuong

Re: Altyn Arashan, Song-kul Lake, Issy-kul lake in winter information (including accomodation)

Post by emdethuong »

Thank you very much for your report. Absolutely helpful. I am heading that way next week. It’s saf that Issy-kul is not accessible at this point.
0 x
@emdethuong

Adamtiffany

Re: Altyn Arashan, Song-kul Lake, Issy-kul lake in winter information (including accomodation)

Post by Adamtiffany »

The access to Issy -kul could of course change but I guess depends on the severity of the winter
Enjoy!
0 x

emdethuong

Post by emdethuong »

I went along the southern shore today. Good road with just a bit of snow and ice here and there. Most are clear with no snow. Many local vehicles traverse. Tomorrow I will go through the northern shore to Bishkek. Local buses and vans told me no problem so far and they have been going through both directions.
1 x
@emdethuong