7 days in May- suggestions needed

All about Kyrgyzstan.
saq

7 days in May- suggestions needed

Post by saq »

Hey guys,

I'm really hoping for some suggestions for what to do with my time in Kyrgyzstan. I've basically added on extra days at the end of a 3 week trip to Uzbekistan. It is a last minute decision so I haven't a chance to do my research and suggestions would be welcome.

I'll be arriving in Osh on May 10th and plan to go to Almaty around May 18-19th. I do have a flight booked from Osh to Bishkek on May 11th but I can drop that if I need to.

Part of the issue is that I am not sure what makes sense in terms of weather and time of year. Horseback riding and a trip up to Song Kul sounds amazing but from what little I've read it seems it would still be too early in the year for it. Is that true?

Other options include circumnavigating lake Issyk Kul but once again not sure if it is the best time of year?

Also considering going from Osh to Bishkek by land via Arslanbob, maybe combined with a trip to some places around Issyk Kul.

So any suggestions on how best to use those 7-8 days to see a good slice of life in Kyrgztan would be highly appreciated. I would be just as happy with nature as well as experiencing local living. I usually do all my research myself but I leave for Uzbekistan in a few days and as this is a last minute decision I have very little time!

Many thanks!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: 7 days in May- suggestions needed

Post by steven »

I think Arslanbob is a must. The village will be in full swing as spring is a busy time, but tourists will still be few as it is not the high season yet. I would definitely hang out there for a few days, great for easy 1-day hikes without snow. Since they are Uzbek, you should still visit somewhere else to get the real Kyrgyzness.

It is too early for Song Kul, people only take their tents up in June. Still snow there in May, I reckon.

Ok, just read that you already have the flight booked. Sorry. In that case, have a look around Bishkek, it's got an interesting vibe. For hiking, I would recommend Ala-Archa or Chong-Kemin this time of year. Close to Bishkek, and you don't need to go so high to get a taste of the mountains.

For horse riding, there is a nice company in Barskoon that always comes recommended and can give a real taste of Kyrgyzness: http://www.kyrgyztrek.com/subpages/fr_tours.html Haven't dealt with them myself but I heard it's good.

We also have contacts who can do something similar on that side of Issyk-Kul. http://caravanistan.com/tour/horse-back ... ol-3-days/

Should be lovely weather, all will be blossom. You're definitely going to enjoy it.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

saq

Post by saq »

I'm also realizing that horse riding might have to wait for another trip as the kind of rides that I like to do are overnight and would mean bringing a sleeping bag and carrying with me for the four weeks before I get to Kyrgzstan.

So unless there is a way around that, I'm thinking a couple of days at Arsalanbob and then Bishkek and somewhere on the southern shore of Issyk Kul.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

You can rent sleeping bags in Bishkek and in Karakol. I wouldn't be surprised if you could rent them at CBT offices: emailing different offices may yield answers.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

If you are going on a tour the TO will bring all necessary gear/
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D