From Osh to Song kul

All about Kyrgyzstan.
kvint3

From Osh to Song kul

Post by kvint3 »

Hello everybody.

I know a simmilar question was here some time ago, but I would like to ask in more detail:

Is it possible and easy to get from Osh to Song Kul?
What's the nearest point to get to the lake with a car and where are the nearest yurt camps then? Is it easy to find?
Is it easy to hire a private car in Osh for this route? Or better to arrange with an agency? Whats the approx. price?
Suggestions are to make it a two day trip from Osh to the lake....where are the best options to stay overnight during the journey? Would it only be in nature where I need a tent?
When leaving the Song Kul then, how to arrange a journey to Bishkek?

Sorry for so many questions, but it is difficult to find the particular answers in articles over the internet. :)
Thank you very much for your help!

Marian.
0 x

Pamirski
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: From Osh to Song kul

Post by Pamirski »

Hi

better not look in articles, but in a map (google earth would also be sufficient).
From Osh you have to drive first to Dschlalabad, from where the road continues to Kazarman and then to Naryn.
If you want to do it with minimum agency support, you could try to get to Naryn and arrange a taxi from there, or you try it at the crossing at Ak-Tal (between Kazarman and Naryn one of the access-roads (there are many) to Song Kul goes of, I cycled in 2009: blog).
So you easily (in terms of road difficulty, not in terms of arranging a transport) arrive to Song Kul with a car, where you find uncountable yurts in summer and also some yurt stays.
BTW there is no direct way (by car) to the kyrgyz plateau from Osh, we tried it in 2013 (another blog)
Kazarman has a bad reputation, but you should find a homestay there.
A tent is always a good idea in Kirgistan, you have plenty of great camping spots.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

It is a lot of driving in 2 days. The easiest, but longest route would be over Bishkek. More difficult is the bad road over Kazarman and Naryn. In any case, it's almost all driving to get to Song Kul from Osh in 2 days. I suggest you do it over a longer period of time and add stops along the way.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

kvint3

Post by kvint3 »

Thank you all very much!
And then do you think it's gonna be possible to get from Song Kul to Bishkek? Is it possible to arrange the transportation on the spot (Song Kul)?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

If you are alone, you can probably jump into a car with tourists that is leaving when you want to. No guarantees though. Most people pre-arrange their visit: drive up, stay for 1 or 2 days, drive down.

Best place to organise it is Kochkor.

But, if you are not in a hurry, definitely works from Song Kol too. Depends how lucky you are if you have to wait some time or not.
0 x

Helene

Post by Helene »

I will do the opposite trip : Son Kol lake to Osh. On the 12th of August. With a private car&driver. The driver said it will take 7hours. I don't know which roade he will take
But if anybody wants to join and share a part of the budget, you're welcome!
Cheers
Helene
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

He will take the ak tal road. Bumpy, but beautiful. 7 hours is ambitious in my mind, but not impossible.
0 x

blanka_kis

Post by blanka_kis »

hi. do you know where to buy a cheap and light TENT and a hiking map?
0 x