Courier services to Kyrgyzstan - customs

All about Kyrgyzstan.
leela

Courier services to Kyrgyzstan - customs

Postby leela » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:52 pm

Has anyone had experience of sending an item by courier? I need to send my friend's camera to him (it's been repaired for him in the UK). Couriers quote for a 3 day delivery, but with the caveat that they (obviously) can't be responsible for delays at customs.
I'd be interested to know of anyone's experience re: processing time at customs for small packages.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Courier services to Kyrgyzstan - customs

Postby steven » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:37 am

Really depends but I see people ordering a lot of stuff from China these days so it must have gotten a lot better. Should be ok I guess. Do let us know how it went!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

leela

Postby leela » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:53 pm

Will do!
Bearing in mind that it's a camera he already owns being returned to him, is he likely to have to pay any duty? Is there any way I can label it to indicate that it's not new, and hope to avoid that? After all, if it had entered the country in his backpack, there wouldn't be an issue.
0 x

Lovetheworld

Postby Lovetheworld » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:55 am

I had something sent to Osh from Netherlands, with Dutch postal service. They said 6 days, but it took more than twice as long. But that cannot all be blamed on the customs in Kyrgystan.
0 x

jacoblab1

Postby jacoblab1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:04 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on my situation? I'm going to need to ship some mountaineering boots to Bishkek for a climb I plan on doing (don't want to carry them on the rest of my trip).

Currently, I've got two cheapish options. Ship from home using Canada Post Surface which could take 2-3 months and cost around $120. The length of time is fine, as I'll be travelling for that long before entering Kyrgyzstan anyways. Worried that my package could get lost on a 3 month surface journey though...

Other option is to ship from Lahore, Pakistan as it will be the first stop on my trip. I could fly over with them, and then ship using Pak Post.
According to the estimator on their website, this would cost around $50 for airplane shipping. Anyone have experience with Pak Post?

I would also need to ship them home, with no time requirement. Does Kyrgyzstan have a decent national post operator? Could also ship from Almaty if that's better.

My main worry is getting my $800 boots lost...
0 x
My solo-travel blog: On The Way Around
Covers destinations such as China, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and more!

Lovetheworld

Postby Lovetheworld » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:13 pm

I shipped a metal box full of Pakistani stuff from Islamabad to home. Was full of dents and took ages, I guess anything from Pakistan is taking long in customs. But everything was still there. Track and trace was weeks behind, useless. But this was 6 years ago. Id ship from Canada
1 x