Driving Tosor Pass

All about Kyrgyzstan.
phoo

Driving Tosor Pass

Postby phoo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:09 pm

hi you all..

1. If out of a total trip (10\11 days) With own transportation. I have to choose 2 out of 3 days-places in mid September what would you suggest to take down?
A. Driving from Naryn to Tamga via tossor pass (after Song kol lake the other option is to return from the simpler\shorter day via Kochkor) Will it
still be open on mid Sept? How many hours will that be?
b. Driving from Karakol through Karkara valley, driving along the Kazakhstan border, with views to the Khan Tengri, crossing the border zones of
Echkyltash.
c. .Drive to Altyn Arashan gorge+hot springs?

2. Is there any differance in the way of travelling?
from Bishkek to song kol and than from the south shore to issy kol or oposit ? (Isy kol and than song kol? )
thanks for your help!!!
0 x

cristiano

Re: help with itinerary..

Postby cristiano » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:10 pm

phoo wrote:[...]
1. If out of a total trip (10\11 days) With own transportation. I have to choose 2 out of 3 days-places in mid September what would you suggest to take down?
A. Driving from Naryn to Tamga via tossor pass (after Song kol lake the other option is to return from the simpler\shorter day via Kochkor) Will it
still be open on mid Sept? How many hours will that be?

Own trasportation of what kind? Car or Motorbike?
Naryn to Tamga via Tossor pass is one beautiful but full day: be aware of thunderstorms in the afternoon approaching Tossor Pass. There is a ugly house with hot springs before the pass: if it rains or snows, you can camp there for the night.
It is not the easiest route in Kyrgyzstan: be prepared for it, or enjoy it, if you are searching for offroad ;-)
Mid september? Should be open. Last september 12th 2018 I found snow on the pass, but at 4000 mt it can happen even in july or august.

phoo wrote:[...]
2. Is there any differance in the way of travelling?
from Bishkek to song kol and than from the south shore to issy kol or oposit ? (Isy kol and than song kol? )
thanks for your help!!!

Your question is not so clear: I undertand you will start in Bishkek and you want to visit Song Kol.
In my opinion the best route is from Bishkek to Suusamyr and from there to south shore of Song Kol through beatifull valleys, passing the mine. Then, the south east route from the lake to the main road to Naryn is one of the most beautiful roads in Kyrgyzstan.
But it depends what your plans are...you can go south from Song Kol and then west to Kazarman if you want to go to Osh, or you can exit north east to Sary Bulak on the main track if you are in a hurry and want to go to Issik Kol.

As for mid september..Kyrgyzstan is still beautiful and temperatures still acceptable, but it will be less green than you saw it in pictures, kids will no more be at Song Kol, and beaches on Issik Kul will be almost closed...
3 x