Sarp border at Turkey/Georgia: reports & updates

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
GoldenPolyglot

Re: Sarp border at Turkey/Georgia: reports & updates

Post by GoldenPolyglot »

Is there a website to prepay for insurance on a personal vehicle in Turkey? (as well as any other applicable taxes)
0 x

GoldenPolyglot

Re: Georgian Car / Foreign Passport = Denied

Post by GoldenPolyglot »

ojones wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:24 pm
Anyone ever had this problem and figured it out? Hope so.
Rob0001 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 am
I bought a car in Georgia about a year ago and wish to drive it home to the UK.
sidadigital wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:54 pm
I am in similar situation as you, EU passport, Georgian plates number car.
I know these are old posts but for the record the car needs to be registered in a country that you are from or have a resident card in. So if you want to bring your Georgian car into Turkey, you'll need to get a resident card (buy property valued over $300k or create a small business and make at least ₾50k) or marry a Georgian!
0 x

joelew2010

Post by joelew2010 »

Hello all

Yesterday my partner and I crossed from Turkey into Georgia at the Sarp border. We are travelling in our converted campervan and much to our surprise, we were asked to cross the border separately. I crossed on foot and her driving our campervan (as she is registered owner). Is this normal at this border crossing? Is it a thing at all border crossings in/out of Georgia?

Any advice is appreciated!
1 x

Lagerfeld

Sarp border at Turkey/Georgia: reports & updates

Post by Lagerfeld »

Yes, Joelew, this methoda is normal at GEO - border crossings. It was the same when I passed the border from GEO --> Azerbaidshan, my partner must walk through the border. This isn't a real problem - the only problem was for me to find my partner after passing the border becaus behind the border were many and a lot of people around.
0 x

Marcellc67

Post by Marcellc67 »

joelew2010 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:31 pm
Hello all

Yesterday my partner and I crossed from Turkey into Georgia at the Sarp border. We are travelling in our converted campervan and much to our surprise, we were asked to cross the border separately. I crossed on foot and her driving our campervan (as she is registered owner). Is this normal at this border crossing? Is it a thing at all border crossings in/out of Georgia?

Any advice is appreciated!
There are many borders where only one person drives the vehicle across whilst all other passengers must cross through the offices by foot - I know in South America and Africa it's like that but also saw it at the Georgia/Armenia border.
0 x

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Just crossed this morning from Batumi to Sarp. Unless on a tight budget just use Bolt to order a taxi to the crossing. I pre-booked one last night for 20GEL. Beats mucking about looking for bus stations.

On Turkish side, the first batch of Dolmuşes are for Sarp town centre. Go a little further for the Hopa ones. 50TL.
0 x

huguette234

Post by huguette234 »

Hello!

We crossed the border on foot from Georgia to Türkiye on May 13th. Here is some fresh info for a trip from Batumi to Kars.

From Batumi city center, you can take city bus n°16 (payable directly in the bus by credit card) to drop you near the border. Or take a Yandex for 25 GEL (9€).

We spent the night at Konstantin House which was the best choice. A very welcoming host, clean double room and private bathroom for 50 GEL (18€) and 5 minutes from the border by foot.

Crossing both the Georgian and Turkish side was very quick and easy at 8 AM. 10 minutes in total and no questions asked. Once you’re on the Turkish side, exchange bureau and ATM are available.

First minibuses on your right are for Sarp. 50 meters further, you have minibuses for Hopa for 50 TRY (1,6€). The bus got filled quickly and 25 minutes later, we were in Hopa. You can ask the driver to drop you at Hopa Otobüs Terminal.

Over there, you can catch the 10.30 bus to Kars from Artvin travel company for 450 TRY (15€). Bus was pretty recent and drive was ok. We arrived in Kars at 16.15.

Hope this helps!
Cheers
0 x