Applying for 3 year tourist visa to Russia (as an American) while outside of the US

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
justt

Applying for 3 year tourist visa to Russia (as an American) while outside of the US

Post by justt »

Has any American here ever applied for a 3 year tourist visa to Russia from outside of the US / is it allowed to apply outside of the US for this type of visa?

I can apply in any of these cities: Tirana, Sofia, Varna, Budapest, Riga, Vilnius, Warsaw, Krakow, Bucharest, Belgrade, Brno, Ljubljana, Kyiv, Odessa, or Lviv (all of them are consulate generals or embassies).

I understand things are outdated quickly for visas /policies might changed by now, but it is better for me to have a mental list before I start asking consulates.

Thank you so much.
0 x

BakuBound

Re: Applying for 3 year tourist visa to Russia (as an American) while outside of the US

Post by BakuBound »

While I haven't actually done it, I did email a Russian consulate in Asia about this a couple of years ago, and they said it's possible but that there's a processing time of around 15 days (I forget the exact period). I think there's a similar long processing period for the three-year visa even when you apply in the US, so apply in a city where you're prepared for a long stay.

I also looked into this when Russia and the US announced the three-year reciprocal visa arrangement, and recall that the agreement itself provides for issuance of visas outside the home country.

But of course your experience at any given consulate may be different. Just to point out that it doesn't seem completely forbidden.
1 x

justt

Re: Applying for 3 year tourist visa to Russia (as an American) while outside of the US

Post by justt »

BakuBound wrote:While I haven't actually done it, I did email a Russian consulate in Asia about this a couple of years ago, and they said it's possible but that there's a processing time of around 15 days (I forget the exact period). I think there's a similar long processing period for the three-year visa even when you apply in the US, so apply in a city where you're prepared for a long stay.

I also looked into this when Russia and the US announced the three-year reciprocal visa arrangement, and recall that the agreement itself provides for issuance of visas outside the home country.

But of course your experience at any given consulate may be different. Just to point out that it doesn't seem completely forbidden.
I know it would be probably 15 days if I were to do it in the states and I figured it is the same anywhere else too, but not sure if it was actually allowed.

For me, it would actually be easy for me to obtain it while traveling since that is a little more flexible. Thank you for your help!
0 x