Karakoram Highway (Pakistan) self-drive rental car

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
weissdergeier

Karakoram Highway (Pakistan) self-drive rental car

Postby weissdergeier » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:42 pm

I am planning to self drive the Karakoram Highway this August and have found Royal Car Rentals in Islamabad to rent out 4x4 at a reasonable rate of 8000 PKR per day without driver. Alternatively Hertz offers cars for self-drive however no 4x4.

My questions:
Has anybody heard of or rented with Royal Car Rentals Islamabad? Is it a reputable company? Same question for Hertz, reports would be very welcome.

After driving up the KKH the plan is to return from Gilgit to Islamabad via Shandur national park and Lowari Pass. Is there anything I need to know about this route other than that the road is a bit dangerous and not tarmac all the way?

Many Thanks
Lukas
0 x

jetdude

Re: Karakoram Highway (Pakistan) self-drive rental car

Postby jetdude » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:36 pm

Hi!
I haven't heard anything good or bad about that company, Royal Car Rentals, but thinking about doing the same thing; renting a car in Islamabad and drive the KKH to the China border, if permitted to rent a one-way, because my plans are taking me to Kashgar, then to Saritash, Kyrgyzstan. Please let me know how reliable that company is, $50/day is not bad for a 4x4 in that region. Are you renting at the airport or in the city?
Jetdude
0 x

weissdergeier

Re: Karakoram Highway (Pakistan) self-drive rental car

Postby weissdergeier » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:08 pm

They will deliver the car to the airport for me.

Trip is coming up next week. I will report back here at the end of August.
0 x