Karakoram Highway (Pakistan) self-drive rental car

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
weissdergeier

Karakoram Highway (Pakistan) self-drive rental car

Post by weissdergeier »

I am planning to self drive the Karakoram Highway this August and have found Royal Car Rentals in Islamabad to rent out 4x4 at a reasonable rate of 8000 PKR per day without driver. Alternatively Hertz offers cars for self-drive however no 4x4.

My questions:
Has anybody heard of or rented with Royal Car Rentals Islamabad? Is it a reputable company? Same question for Hertz, reports would be very welcome.

After driving up the KKH the plan is to return from Gilgit to Islamabad via Shandur national park and Lowari Pass. Is there anything I need to know about this route other than that the road is a bit dangerous and not tarmac all the way?

Many Thanks
Lukas
0 x

jetdude

Re: Karakoram Highway (Pakistan) self-drive rental car

Post by jetdude »

Hi!
I haven't heard anything good or bad about that company, Royal Car Rentals, but thinking about doing the same thing; renting a car in Islamabad and drive the KKH to the China border, if permitted to rent a one-way, because my plans are taking me to Kashgar, then to Saritash, Kyrgyzstan. Please let me know how reliable that company is, $50/day is not bad for a 4x4 in that region. Are you renting at the airport or in the city?
Jetdude
0 x

weissdergeier

Post by weissdergeier »

They will deliver the car to the airport for me.

Trip is coming up next week. I will report back here at the end of August.
0 x

pete5330

Post by pete5330 »

Hello! Yes I know, old topic, but I'm desperately looking for a 4x4 self drive rental in Pakistan... Avis is pretty expensive, and it's just a Toyota Corolla.

Maybe Weissdergeier has a report about royalcarrentals?

Regards,

Rick
0 x

jetdude

Post by jetdude »

Definitely in my plans also; I am planning to do the Karakoram Highway this Fall, Sept-Oct 2022, and will like to be able to rent my own car and drive it myself, did the Pamir that way. If anybody knows any safe and not way expensive self car rental place in Islamabad, please share the info.
As the comments above, a One Way would be perfect to give me chance to exit if I can enter China, through Kashgar then Saritash and head downwards towards Dushanbe.
Thank you
0 x

saule
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by saule »

I found a tour company based in Skardu that offers various 4x4s specifically for Karakoram highway.
Prices are as following. They don't include fuel or a driver.
Hilux 60$ per day
Vigo 70$ per day
Prado 80$ per day

To book them you can get in touch with me via [email protected]
0 x
Saule at Caravanistan team