2nd hand bicycle markets in Pakistan KKH

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
aba

2nd hand bicycle markets in Pakistan KKH

Post by aba »

Are there any 2nd hand markets/shops/places that sell used bicycles of OK/good quality in Pakistan or along the KKH (Gilgit and further North). Just some normal sturdy steel bikes.
Last edited by aba on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Lovetheworld

Re: 2nd hand bicycle markets in Pakistan HHK

Post by Lovetheworld »

You mean the KKH?

I wouldn't expect too much of it. There were hardly any bicycles there from what I remember.
I would try to arrange it in advance through some guesthouse in Gilgit.

Or buy something in the capital.
0 x

aba

Re: 2nd hand bicycle markets in Pakistan KKH

Post by aba »

Thanks, I edited it, KKH indeed. Buying one in Islamabad is also an option, are there any street markets where one can see/try and buy a normal bike? I'd like to keep it within like 100-200eur (7500-15000 rupees) - 2nd hand.
sth like this
0 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Such kind of bike can probably only be found in the big cities.

Islamabad has markets but also more Western shopping malls.
Rawalpindi has much more old style markets. Probably a better chance to find second hand.
But perhaps for 100 to 200 euro you can buy a new simple bike in Islamabad.

The roads on the KKH are crappy half the time, so I'm not sure if you want to ride the KKH with that kind of bike?
Maybe a mountainbike is better? (even though it takes more energy)
Try to find somebody's story who has cycled the KKH (which will not be many people)
Don't spend too much time in Abottabad, at least 7 years a go that was sensitive.

Locations to sleep (hotels and guesthouses) are pretty scarce, you have to check cycling distances, and bush camping at the time was not a good idea.
There are also lots of checkpoints.
1 x

aba

Post by aba »

thank you! do you have addresses of those old school markets in rawalpindi? i'd surely go check!
the dream is to do only gilgit>sost with it (so i'll try to get it from rawalpindi/islamabad on a bus) then put it on the bus to tashkurgan again, then bike to murghab and down to Osh via the pamir highway. Mtb bike would also do me good as long as its simple and without suspension (can't repair those parts on the go).
time-wise i'll be in pakistan at the end of april and try to catch the first (1may) bus to taskurgan from sost
0 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

With Google you can already find a few stores in Rawalpindi and Islamabad. Probably there is no market division for bicycles, but I could be wrong.
I wouldn't be surprised if you can buy something new for your budget, and I would go with suspension.
Because it will be easier on you and the bicycle, and your distance will not be that great.
And if suspension breaks you can still ride it.
1 x