Visit Azerbaijan after visiting Armenia

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
jdsmithaz

Visit Azerbaijan after visiting Armenia

Post by jdsmithaz »

I understand that Azerbaijan doesn't want to give Visas if you have been to Armenia?
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: Visit Azerbaijan after visiting Armenia with a USA passport

Post by Milad »

Under normal circumstances, you can visit Azerbaijan with an Armenian passport stamp, although you will probably be bothered/questioned/interrogated at the border. You can not visit Azerbaijan with an Nagorno-Karabakh passport stamp/visa though.
1 x

billyh

Post by billyh »

From experience, I had no problems at all in December 2017 arriving at Baku Airport with a November 2016 stamp for Armenia. No questions, just happily stamped in.

Visiting Nagorno-Karabakh as mentioned would completely disallow entry to Azerbaijan.
1 x

StephParis

Post by StephParis »

billyh wrote: Visiting Nagorno-Karabakh as mentioned would completely disallow entry to Azerbaijan.
Best case : they send you back (unlikely to happen)
Common case : they take you to police station and charge you for illegal entry in Azerbaijan
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

billyh wrote:From experience, I had no problems at all in December 2017 arriving at Baku Airport with a November 2016 stamp for Armenia. No questions, just happily stamped in.

Visiting Nagorno-Karabakh as mentioned would completely disallow entry to Azerbaijan.
Yeah, Baku Airport ist the most chilled place to enter AZ, and they might or might not look through your passport to find an Armenian stamp. At the land border with Georgia, they'll certainly do this. If they find one, they'll ask you a few questions about your stay in Armenia, usually not in a nice way. I have never personally heard of anyone being refused entry to Azerbaijan because of an Armenian stamp though (NKR is a totally different thing), however, German MoFA says in their travel advice that foreigners being refused entry to AZ because of an AM stamp does (very occasionally) happen.
2 x

KristinAdventures

Re: Visit Azerbaijan after visiting Armenia

Post by KristinAdventures »

We went to Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan last year. We went to Armenia first and then Azerbaijan. At the Azerbaijani border at Langodekhi - Balakan, they asked us where we had been and we listed the places we had visited. We heard other travelers were asked to prove that they had not been to Nagorno Karabagh by showing hotel receipts so it is worth keeping hold of those.

The only thing we didn't know is that anything bought in Armenia will be confiscated on the border so we lost a bottle of wine. They scan your luggage and ask you whether you have any contraband or goods bought in Armenia. The border patrol was polite and crossing the border was a lot less difficult than I had expected in advance.

I would decide on where to go first based on flight times and what works best for your itinerary rather than the Azerbaijani border guards.
1 x