Sarp border at Turkey/Georgia: reports & updates

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
tlou006

Re: Sarp border at Turkey/Georgia: reports & updates

Postby tlou006 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:39 pm

The VIPTurizm Kars - Tbilisi service is not active until September 15th 2018. Once the service resumes, the bus departs from Kars at 9:30am. I assume the procedure is the same for all Turkish longhaul buses: a shuttle picks you up from the centre of town and drops you at the regional bus station in time for the 9:30 bus.

This was all confirmed at the VIPTurizm office in Kars. Hopefully this saves someone a bit of hassle.
2 x

jogi_travels

Postby jogi_travels » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:28 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for all this information here!

I just crossed the border from Turkey to Georgia without any problems. Started 9 o'clock in the morning, lot of trucks and buses, very little cars. Crossed the border with a German registered motorcycle and German passport, everybody was friendly, they didn't check my luggage. Took me 50 minutes.

Had to buy motorcycle insurance for 35 Lari / 30 days and they wanted 5 for commission.

Regards Jochen
1 x

Semski

Postby Semski » Fri May 31, 2019 2:47 pm

Crossed the border today with an NL registered vehicle and passport. The Turkish side was quick and easy, but the Georgians questioned me for a while as to why I drove all the way from the Netherlands to visit Batumi. After telling them I was traveling east afterwards and some back and forth between various customs officials I was eventually let go.

The insurance process at the kiosk a little further down the road was quick and easy, ignore all the guys at the border trying to sell you insurance.
2 x

Tartine

Postby Tartine » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:48 pm

I crossed this border on foot last month, and it was super easy. Absolutely nothing like the order borders in Central Asia.

Queue on foot lasted 10 minutes in the direction of Georgia, they checked my bag vaguely. On the other side queue on foot was a few minutes I guess.

I am surprised about the negative tone about this border. Then again I didn’t have my car, I suppose it’s harder then, Queue for car was indeed quite long.
1 x