Sarp border at Turkey/Georgia: reports & updates

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
tlou006

Re: Sarp border at Turkey/Georgia: reports & updates

Post by tlou006 »

The VIPTurizm Kars - Tbilisi service is not active until September 15th 2018. Once the service resumes, the bus departs from Kars at 9:30am. I assume the procedure is the same for all Turkish longhaul buses: a shuttle picks you up from the centre of town and drops you at the regional bus station in time for the 9:30 bus.

This was all confirmed at the VIPTurizm office in Kars. Hopefully this saves someone a bit of hassle.
2 x

jogi_travels

Post by jogi_travels »

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for all this information here!

I just crossed the border from Turkey to Georgia without any problems. Started 9 o'clock in the morning, lot of trucks and buses, very little cars. Crossed the border with a German registered motorcycle and German passport, everybody was friendly, they didn't check my luggage. Took me 50 minutes.

Had to buy motorcycle insurance for 35 Lari / 30 days and they wanted 5 for commission.

Regards Jochen
1 x

Semski

Post by Semski »

Crossed the border today with an NL registered vehicle and passport. The Turkish side was quick and easy, but the Georgians questioned me for a while as to why I drove all the way from the Netherlands to visit Batumi. After telling them I was traveling east afterwards and some back and forth between various customs officials I was eventually let go.

The insurance process at the kiosk a little further down the road was quick and easy, ignore all the guys at the border trying to sell you insurance.
2 x

Tartine

Post by Tartine »

I crossed this border on foot last month, and it was super easy. Absolutely nothing like the order borders in Central Asia.

Queue on foot lasted 10 minutes in the direction of Georgia, they checked my bag vaguely. On the other side queue on foot was a few minutes I guess.

I am surprised about the negative tone about this border. Then again I didn’t have my car, I suppose it’s harder then, Queue for car was indeed quite long.
1 x

Rob0001

Georgian Registered Car, British Passport.

Post by Rob0001 »

Dear Friends,

This subject has appeared before but without any definitive answers or alternatives. I bought a car in Georgia about a year ago and wish to drive it home to the UK. I am aware from a post from “Ojones” on 27th April 2018 that he was denied entry at the Sapi border as his car was not registered in his country of residency (I am not a Georgian resident). I have checked the official Turkish website and it does state that a car registered in a country that is not the owners country of residency will not be permitted to cross the border. (shame I did not read this first).

This leaves me with two options, one option is to take the boat either to Bulgaria or the Ukraine, both are very expensive, or to drive through Russia and then into the Ukraine and onto Europe.

I am unable to find any information on this subject, I have written to the official Turkish touting organisation to see if I can get a “Carnet de Passages” and I have also written to the appropriate section of “Tass” in Russia. Neither has replied.

Does anyone have any experience that may assist me in establishing if I can drive home on any of these routes. Georgia is a major import centre for US and Japanese cars, I cannot be the first person to want to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

With Regards,
Rob.
0 x

drivingthefareast

Post by drivingthefareast »

Just crossed the Hopa-Sarpi border yesterday.

Driving an 1971 Beetle, dutch plates, dutch pasport,

- arrived at about 4:30 pm.
- Turkish side done in about 5 minutes.
- Georgian side just wanted to check the back compartment of the car(I'm driving an beetle, so it just has an engine)
- Georgian side took maybe 10 to 15 minutes. (they just asked me where i was about to, further not a single question)
- Got car insurance, took me 5 minutes. (20 euro for 30 days)
- around 5 PM ready to go into Georgia.

At this crossing the welcomed me 3 times into Georgia(even before i was there) A real easy border crossing, its like crossing between 2 european countries.
1 x

MeliOwens

Post by MeliOwens »

Hello, just an update on this border crossing! I crossed on foot about a week ago and it was super smooth. Very busy crossing with lots of trucks and lorries. Got a bus/matrushka from Hopa to the crossing, walked through the terminal (lots of locals with shopping bags) and then shared a taxi with some other people on the other side. Passport control looked at mine and asked some questions but nothing strenuous. Overall good experience :)
1 x

UsInWorld

Post by UsInWorld »

Hi
Good report as hoping to use same border

Did they check covid papers?

Regards
0 x

Umudugudu

Post by Umudugudu »

Contrary to what's written on the border crossing page, there is an ATM at the Sarpi border, between the two borders.
1 x

sidadigital

Post by sidadigital »

Hey @Rob0001,

I hope you made it safe back home.

I am in similar situation as you, EU passport, Georgian plates number car.

Were you able to cross the border back home?

Thanks,
0 x