Visiting Georgia after Abkhazia

Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Caucasus and beyond. Expert: Milad
roberthart

Visiting Georgia after Abkhazia

Postby roberthart » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:48 pm

My route is Russia - Abkhazia - Russia - Georgia (via Vladikavkaz).

Will Georgia have any way to know about this visit? Any chance I will be denied entry to Georgia later on from Vladikavkaz?

Thank you for any information.
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Re: Visiting Georgia after Abkhazia

Postby Crazydre » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:04 pm

If you don't have an Abkhaz visa or stamp in your passport, the Georgians won't know unless you run your mouth.

If you do have an Abkhaz visa or stamp, if you're Turkish or EU you can use your national ID card to enter Georgia if you have one. Otherwise you need a new passport
0 x

enimeep

Postby enimeep » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:19 am

I don't think they would deny you entry even if you had a stamp, but I crossed into Abkhazia from Georgia and they just handed me a loose visa. I'm not sure what happens when you cross from Russia.
Please try going to South Ossetia while you're in Russia, I heard it's possible! :D
0 x

jelger

Postby jelger » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Make sure you get a loose paper entry document instead of a stamp, otherwise you might be busted while entering Georgia-proper through Larsi.

Without the presence of a Georgian stamp in your passport for the period you were in Abkhazia you'd be considered having stayed illegal on Georgian territory. As a foreign (EU) first-timer you might get excused with a fine (don't take my word on that, it's not based on any evidence, just a gut guestimation), but the maximum sanction is a couple of years prison.
0 x

thetwinsmemories

Postby thetwinsmemories » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi, all. We are planing to visit Abkhazia with motorcycles from Turkey through Georgia. Do we have to get some paper for bikes except visas?
0 x

Tot hier en verder

Postby Tot hier en verder » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:32 am

Hi,

Apparently you do, but where to get them...? At the Enguri border crossing in October 2017, a EUMM-volunteer told a Romanian tourist had recently crossed the border with his own car. He only had a visa the first time he showed up at the border and had to return to Zugdidi.

Did you try asking directly at [email protected]?
2 x
Tot hier en verder - Tegendraads en grensverleggend

aaron.rs

Postby aaron.rs » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi,
Next year I’m travelling to the Caucasus and I want to do the next route:

Spain-Armenia-Georgia-Abkhazia-Russia-Ukraine

This means that I’m entering Abkhazia from Inguri in Georgia and leaving by train from Sukhum all the way to Rostov,

Can I travel this route with my Spanish citizenship?? Also I’m travelling with my aunt which has Ukrainian passport, does she can either??

(Sorry for my bad english, im a russian-spanish speaker)
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Postby Milad » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:32 pm

The border point KPP Ingur is currently closed. If it should reopen, the route is doable for you, but you might run into trouble when re-entering Georgia.
Some sources suggest that CIS nationals aren't allowed to cross at Ingur at all (by the Georgians). Although Ukraine has recently left the CIS, I can well imagine that she won't be let through.
1 x

aaron.rs

Postby aaron.rs » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Yeah, the citizenship thing is not a problem because almost every nationality could acquire the visa for Abkhazia.
The thing is that i’ve read in some sites that you can only leave Abkhazia by the same border you entered, thats the big deal
Is that true??
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Postby Milad » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:09 pm

The Abkhazians and Russians will not stop you from leaving at the other border point (although they might do so if you try Russia - Abkhazia - Georgia to avoid you bring thrown in jail). However, it might not be a good idea since you will probably have trouble when re-entering Georgia. Also note that the citizenship might be a problem for the Georgians, not the Abkhazians (also Ukraine might not be a problematic citizensip for them since they are anti-Russia, on the other hand, an Ukrainan passport will definitely be of interest for the FSB)
0 x