night train Tashkent-Urgenč and other means of transport

All about Uzbekistan.
Eirinn

night train Tashkent-Urgenč and other means of transport

Postby Eirinn » Wed May 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi, at the beginning of July I'm planning to move from Tashkent to Urgenč with the night train, and then, after spending some days in Khiva, Bukara and Samarkand, go back to the capital for the return flight. I know you can only book train tickets online only from 45 days before the departure, not earlier. I was wondering if it is possible to book the train tickets with larger advance through a travel agency. And then, what would be the best to move back? train, buses or what?
Thanks in advance!
Max
0 x

Provodnik
Trains expert
Trains expert

Re: night train Tashkent-Urgenč and other means of transport

Postby Provodnik » Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Booking period is only 45 days, the same applies for travel agencies. It makes no sense to try to get tickets more than 45 days in advance.
0 x

shahp366

Postby shahp366 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Is the route from Urgench to Tashkent still operational? My travel agent said that when he asked, they told him that it is currently not running but will start again soon.
0 x

Eirinn

Postby Eirinn » Thu May 25, 2017 4:43 pm

I asked to book the train for us to Caravinstan, and they didn't say anything, so I guess it's operational...
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri May 26, 2017 5:57 am

Ever since the new president Mirziyoyev took power in December 2016, the train schedule has been in disarray. Trains get cancelled last-minute, booking is complicated, schedules are all over the map. We hope the situation stabilises soon. In the meantime, keep it in mind, and don’t rely on our train schedule exclusively.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Provodnik
Trains expert
Trains expert

Postby Provodnik » Sun May 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Probably the best source to check timetable and place availability for Uzbek train is the webiste of Russian Railways:
https://pass.rzd.ru/timetable/public/en ... URE_ID=729

Uzbek Railways use the same booking system as most other former Soviet railways, so their trains appear in the database of Russian Railways. Theoretically one can also book Uzbek trains at rzd.ru, but as it's necessary to pick up the booked tickets at any train station in Russia, this is probably not useful for most travellers.
To see also trains, for which no tickets are available (because already full or booking not yet opened), you can un-check the "only with tickets"-options.
2 x

beatag

Postby beatag » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:28 am

Hi
This topic seems the most appropriate for my question, hope someone will know the answer. A friend told me to check if Tashkent-Urgench night train crosses and re-crosses the border with Turkmenistan so the journey may require a visa. Better be on the safe side before booking!

Thanks a lot!
0 x

Eirinn

Postby Eirinn » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:19 am

No, it doesn't cross it, no visa needed. At first I had the impression that there was a crossing on the Kazak side, but it's not the case.
0 x

beatag

Postby beatag » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:07 am

Thanks a lot Eirinn, very helpful!
0 x