Unique experince in Uzbekistan or neighbouring countries

All about Uzbekistan.
iddo22

Unique experince in Uzbekistan or neighbouring countries

Postby iddo22 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi!
In early October my GF and I will travel to Uzbekistan for two weeks. We are both interested in silk road monuments, but we would also like to combine it with a different kind of experience. I am worried that she will get bored after too many mosques so it's important for me to find something that she would find fascinating. She is a keen photographer and is very interested in culture, food, and mountains. An Ideal experience would combine something to appeal to all of those. I don't have a full itinerary yet (will ask for further advice once we have more) but It seems we would have a few days to do something beyond the cities. I'm looking for ideas for a place to provide such an experience in Uzbekistan or not too far from its borders in one of the neighboring countries. I have thought of a few possible ideas I would love to hear your opinions on and I'm very open to other ideas!
1. Nurata mountains - I heard that it has great views and the chance to experience the Uzbek village life, do you think that would be a good idea?
2. Arslanbob - I see that October is the walnut picking season and the place is supposed to be beautiful. How culturally interesting is it? Do you think it is worth the effort going there?
3. Fan mountains/Yagnob valley - The views seem to be amazing and it seems to have an interesting culture and village life. Is it worth going there for a short period? How hard would it be to travel in the area? We don't like camping very much.
4. Aksu-Zhabagly or Sayram-Ugam - It seems to have amazing views, but is there also something cultural we can combine in the area? Is it worth going there in October?
Thank you!
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Unique experince in Uzbekistan or neighbouring countries

Postby Julia » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi.

I share my opinion about Fann mountains.
I think it's very beautiful landscape. But you need to do trekking and camping there to get amazing views.
If you're not into it than it doesn't worth going there.
Plus you're very limited with time.
Plus as I understood you're going to be there in October.
It's off-season for Fann mountains. Base camps stop working at the beginning of September.
I'd skip Fann in October.

Maybe try 7 lakes Haft kul near Penjikent (Tajikistan) instead?
It's closer to Uzbekistan than Fann. But I'm not sure if it's still season there in October.
0 x

iddo22

Postby iddo22 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Thank you Julia, I will look into that!
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Postby Julia » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:20 am

I meant the actual Fann mountains.
You also mentioned Yagnob valley. Maybe worth going there. But only if you arrange and hire transportation for a few days around the valley. It's kind of difficult to reach place in terms of transport.
0 x

iddo22

Postby iddo22 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:43 am

Thank you so much, I will look into the transportation issue. I'm also open to any other suggestions for special places to visit!
0 x