Car rental companies in Tashkent, Uzbekistan?

All about Uzbekistan.
Duncan Wilson

Car rental companies in Tashkent, Uzbekistan?

Post by Duncan Wilson »

Hi,
I will be in Uzbekistan in early May for a week, visiting Tashkent, the desert outside Bukhara, and Zaamin National Park. I will be birdwatching, so will travel to some areas where public transport may be time-consuming or absent, and probably require using taxis.
Could anybody kindly give advice on renting a self-drive car in Uzbekistan? Specifically, any experience of agencies to recommend or avoid? Rentcar.uz and Sixt seem to be bookable online, so would be obvious choices.
I note that there can be issues finding petrol in the country. Is this still the case, and is it a serious issue, or one that can easily be sorted if you are prepared to pay a premium?
Any other issues to be aware of?
Many thanks!
Duncan
0 x

paul

Re: Car rental, Tashkent

Post by paul »

Hi We have the same question.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

We can't really help with that. But car rental in Uzbekistan is now allowed so you can book with one of those agencies.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

paul

Post by paul »

We now drive arround whit a rented car .its no problem to get petrol.
1 x

Duncan Wilson

Post by Duncan Wilson »

Thanks for the replies. In the end we decided not to hire a car, but to use a combination of trains and chartered taxis. This worked out very well for our rather compressed itinerary, and we did not miss having a car.

To give some specifics, the night train from Tashkent to Bukhara saved a day wasted on a long drive and a night's accommodation. We were met at the station at 0400hrs and driven straight out into the desert beyond Gasli along the Nukus road, stopping to look at birds whenever, then back to Bukhara late afternoon, which cost $120 (arranged in advance through a hotel).

The night train from Bukhara to Jizzakh saved another night's accommodation, and we were collected at the station at 0500hrs and taken to the Hotel Grand Zaamin, about 3 hrs drive, for $18 We got around in Zaamin NP on foot, and a free lift.

The hotel arranged a taxi charter from the Grand Zaamin Hotel to Chimgan (6 hours via Tashkent) for $54. We then got a taxi back to Tashkent through the hotel in Chimgan for $22.

I guess the cost worked out a little less than hiring a car. Avoiding long drives using night trains and the hassles of car rental outweighed the potential extra flexibility. All the taxis we used were LPG and there were no issues with finding fuel.
1 x

Bullap

Post by Bullap »

paul wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 4:42 pm
We now drive arround whit a rented car .its no problem to get petrol.
We are planning a trip for 3 weeks with a rental car - where did you drive wir your car? Do you think we can travel from Tashkent to the Nukus without problems with petrol?

Thank you!
0 x

123JonathanS

Cross Border Car Rental in Tashkent

Post by 123JonathanS »

Hello!
I am going to central asia, where I will be landing in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
Does anyone know a car rental company that would allow crossing into Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan?

Best Regards,
Jonathan
0 x

hfx566

Re: Cross Border Car Rental in Tashkent

Post by hfx566 »

Hello

Did you find anything in the end???

Same scenario except we want to go to Tajikistan for a couple days

Any insights appreciated

Symeon
0 x

123JonathanS

Re: Cross Border Car Rental in Tashkent

Post by 123JonathanS »

We ended up parking our car near the border and then going back to Uzbekistan at the same border we left from.
However, I did receive an offer from a person in Kyrgyzstan who offered to drive the car to the airport and pick it up again once we left. With that car, we could go to both Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan, but it was a lot more expensive than renting a car which could not cross borders.
0 x

minion

Car rental companies in Tashkent

Post by minion »

very few posts about this topic

looking for a car to drive around Uzbekistan only (Tashkent - Samarkand - Shahrisabz - Qarshi - Bukhara - Tashkent)

not crossing border. but car needs to be big enough for bags, hence the below choices.

does anyone have feedback on any of the below companies?

autoprokat.uz
rentcar.uz
car24.uz
inrent.uz
gorenty.uz

rates per day seem roughly the same, and quite high

TOYOTA PRADO 150 = 1.1 MM UZS (80 USD)
TOYOTA SIENNA = 1 MM UZS (79 USD)
CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER = 1.1 MM UZS (80 USD)
Chevrolet Equinox = 1 MM UZS (79 USD)
KIA SEDONA = 900K UZS (72 USD)
CHEVROLET ORLANDO = 600K UZS (48 USD)
0 x