Nuratau Mountains guide

All about Uzbekistan.
InnaS

Nuratau Mountains guide

Post by InnaS »

We just had an excellent experience hiking through Nuratau Mountains in Uzbekistan with an absolutely amazing mountain guide. I thought I would share the contacts. He was provided to us by the agency, so I am sure it is much cheaper to contact him directly. He does day hikes or multiple day hikes. He also knows everyone in the villages who run decent guest houses, and can arrange those too. Negotiating a driver between Bukhara and Samarkand is also easy, so I would highly recommend to do the trip independently and skip the agency who charges hundreds of dollars for not much.

The mountain guide is called Alibek. He speaks Russian and basic English. He is best reached on the mobile phone - +99 899 555 9681

Hope it is useful to someone :!:
2 x

jacoblab1

Re: Nuratau Mountains

Post by jacoblab1 »

Interesting! I hadn't even heard of these mountains before. Might have to check them out when I'm in Uzbekistan this fall.

Got any photos from your trip somewhere?
0 x
My solo-travel blog: On The Way Around
Covers destinations such as China, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and more!

InnaS

Re: Nuratau Mountains

Post by InnaS »

There aren't as high as Tajikistan but it was a very welcome break to hot cities. I will upload them soon to my instagram @innachronicle
Not sure how to do it on here
0 x

ameet1983

Re: Nuratau Mountains guide

Post by ameet1983 »

Agreed! I had an excellent 2 nights in Sentyab at Komil's Guesthouse. Komil and his wife who run it are so sweet and all the food she cooks is delicious and local. He plays the tar - a musical instrument which is lovely to hear. You don't need a guide - we had lovely walks all over.

We then spent 2 days in mojrum village (smaller than sentyab). Absolutely lovely at Muhammed-Ali guesthouse which is run by Kuldosh and was started only in 2018. He and his wife are so sweet and she uses all her home grown vegetables and meat for dinner, and she milks her cows everyday and makes lovely yogurt dishes. They also give you walnuts that grow on their land. We were the only tourists in the village and even got invited to a wedding in the village which was quite an experience! The locals also showed us a gigantic tree they believe is over 2000 years old that was planted by Alexander the great's army!

No one in the villages seemed to speak much english but that was all part of the adventure.

We booked this all through Sherzod at the non-profit organisation and it was $24 per person per night including all meals which in these two guesthouses you eat with the family.

https://www.nuratau.com/homestays

Note Kuldosh's guesthouse is not on their website but you can ask Sherzod to stay there. We liked both places but Mojrum was our favourite as it seemed much more off the beaten track.
2 x