21 days in Uzbekistan!

All about Uzbekistan.
ameet1983

21 days in Uzbekistan!

Postby ameet1983 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:01 am

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are heading to Uzbekistan for the first time in October for 21 days from London. It's been a dream of hers for over ten years so I'm trying to make it as amazing as I can with drawing up a rough itinerary where we see some tourist things but also don't rush and see some less touristy things. I would be so grateful to get any feedback on this - I know it's all subjective but any advice or opinions would be so welcome! In particular she wants to see the Aral sea, the museum in Nukus and as much weaving and felting as possible in the fergana valley, ideally learning from some local ladies. I personally would love to see live dutar music as I've been learning the uzbek dutar for over a month now (2 stringed instrument).

Day 1 - Arrive Tashkent AM with Air Astana
Day 2 - Tashkent
Day 3 - Travel to Kokand early train and then to Margilon (spend 2 nights here at Ikat House hotel)
Day 4 - Margilon - silk factory tour
Day 5 - Fergana Valley stuff? Somehow see or get involved in felting or weaving?
Day 6 - Get to Sarmakand (somehow?)
Day 7 - Sarmakand
Day 8 - Travel to homestay in Nuratau mountains (maybe mosrum)
Day 9 - Homestay in Nuratau mountains (waterfall hike)
Day 10 - Homestay in Nuratau mountains (nature reserve visit)
Day 11 - Leave to Bukhara
Day 12 - Bukhara (see sights and chill)
Day 13 - Bukhara
Day 14 - Bukhara
Day 15 - Travel to Khiva and spend one night here
Day 16 - Travel to Nukus
Day 17 - Nukus - Savitsky museum
Day 18 - Aral Sea tour
Day 19 - Aral Sea your
Day 20 - Maybe fly to Tashkent if flights available? (this will be a Friday)
Day 21 - Tashkent
Day 22 - Fly back to London on Air Astana AM

Thanks
Ameet
0 x

ameet1983

Re: 21 days in Uzbekistan!

Postby ameet1983 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:09 am

And I wonder if it's even worth spending half a day in Kokand? My girlfriend really just wants to learn about weaving and felting and get involved if possible around the Fergana Valley, so Day 3, 4 and 5 can be all that, I just don't know where or how, except for the Yodgorlik Silk Factory. Does anyone know any homestays in the valley?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:13 pm

I believe that felting is more of a nomadic (i.e., Kyrgyz and Kazakh) tradition, while Uzbeks do more weaving/knotting. If your girlfriend has been looking into this for 10 years, she may know more, but I'd be surprised if this is something available in the Feghana Valley.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu May 30, 2019 4:34 am

I expect that in a few years time you will be able to find people teaching you weaving and Uzbek dutar easily on getyourguide or airbnb experiences, but for now, these people are not easy to find. Gotta ask around and negotiate.

I don't think the silk factory is the best place since it is quite mechanised, but maybe they know others doing a more traditional weaving. Arts and crafts museum in Tashkent knows a lot of people and sometimes does master classes.

Best I can recommend you is to get in touch with Penelope of Uzbek journeys. Granted, she stopped doing tours in UZbekistan last year, but she still has a lot of contacts in the arts and crafts sphere in Uzbekistan.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

ameet1983

Postby ameet1983 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:22 am

Thank you so much Steven!
0 x

ameet1983

Postby ameet1983 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:36 am

Hi all,

So we've developed the itinerary a little more and would be so grateful if you could help in any way with three questions:

1) we''d love to squeeze an extra night at Naratau mountains - can you see anyway to change the intinery to do this? We can't spend less time in Tashkent at the beginning as the only decent flight to Nukus was on Wednesday and we've already booked this.

2) How does it look overall? Any glaring mistakes?

3) How should be get from Samarkand to Margillan in the Fergana Valley (the only decent way I see is going all the way back to Tashkent)?

Any help would be so appreciated!

13th October - Arrive in Tashkent
14th, 15th - Tashkent
Wednesday 16th - Fly to Nukus (flights booked already)
17th - Nukus
18th & 19th - Aral Sea tour
20th - Travel to Khiva
21st - Khiva
22nd - Travel to Bukhara
23rd & 24th - Bukhara
25th - Travel to (Sentyab) Naratau mountains
26th & 27th - Naratau mountains
28th - Travel to Samarkand
29th - Samarkand
30th - Travel to Fergana Valley (Margillan)
31st & 1st November - Margilan
2nd travel to Tashkent
3rd - Fly home (AM)

A
0 x

Bethany

Postby Bethany » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:10 pm

ameet1983 wrote:Hi all,

So we've developed the itinerary a little more and would be so grateful if you could help in any way with three questions:

1) we''d love to squeeze an extra night at Naratau mountains - can you see anyway to change the intinery to do this? We can't spend less time in Tashkent at the beginning as the only decent flight to Nukus was on Wednesday and we've already booked this.

2) How does it look overall? Any glaring mistakes?

3) How should be get from Samarkand to Margillan in the Fergana Valley (the only decent way I see is going all the way back to Tashkent)?

Any help would be so appreciated!

13th October - Arrive in Tashkent
14th, 15th - Tashkent
Wednesday 16th - Fly to Nukus (flights booked already)
17th - Nukus
18th & 19th - Aral Sea tour
20th - Travel to Khiva
21st - Khiva
22nd - Travel to Bukhara
23rd & 24th - Bukhara
25th - Travel to (Sentyab) Naratau mountains
26th & 27th - Naratau mountains
28th - Travel to Samarkand
29th - Samarkand
30th - Travel to Fergana Valley (Margillan)
31st & 1st November - Margilan
2nd travel to Tashkent
3rd - Fly home (AM)

A

What time does your flight land in Nukus on 16th? The airport is not far from the museum and the museum itself will only take you 3 hours (4 max). There is nothing else to do in Nukus so a whole day could be a waste.

Also have you already booked your aral sea tour?

I would also say you probably have already day of snacks in your Khiva/Bukhara section but it depends how you intend to travel and how many coffee stops you like!!

Yes the most sensible way is via Tashkent on train.
0 x