Khiva to Nukus

All about Uzbekistan.
chiarac

Khiva to Nukus

Post by chiarac »

Hello,

do you have any recommendation about how to go from Khiva to Nukus??

Thanks!
0 x

kalimero44

Re: Khiva to Nukus

Post by kalimero44 »

Shared taxi, plenty of them in Urgench
0 x

rhinomaxil

Post by rhinomaxil »

Hi,

Here's a more detailed summary of the options to go from Khiva to Nukus, based on our experience a few weeks ago.

There is no marshrutka or shared taxi going from Khiva to Nukus directly, at least not in early November.

Private taxi: the standard quote we got from many different persons was $50 (for the whole car), which we negotiated down to $30. We still didn't use this option as it was only the two of us and therefore too expensive.

Shared taxi:
From Khiva north gate, there are minibuses (4,000/seat) and shared taxi (7,000/seat) going to Urgench. There is also a trolleybus apparently but it goes way slower for the very little money you may save

In Urgench, you will arrive at 'Dekon' bazaar. From there, you can take a taxi to the other bazaar or the Olympic stadium, where you will find shared taxi going to Nukus for 40,000-50,000/seat. Otherwise, you can take a minibus from Urgench Dekon bazaar (exact location: Конечная городских авттобусов - http://ge0.me/ozs8Dx90j1/Конечная_городских_авттобусов) to Beruni (3,000/seat), where you can then find a bus (20,000-25,000/seat) or a shared taxi (30,000/seat) to Nukus.

We used this second option (via Beruni) as we thought it may be both easier and cheaper than to take a taxi from one bazaar to the other in Urgench, but in fact the minibus to Beruni is very slow and we had to wait an hour in Beruni to find other passengers to Nukus. If I had to do it again I would take a shared taxi from Urgench to Nukus directly. In Nukus, the shared taxi drop us directly at the Savitsky museum.

In Nukus, I can recommend Besqala hostel. We paid $10/bed in a dorm (breakfast included), which seems to be an ok price in Nukus (the guy would not go lower). It was very clean, quite conveniently located and breakfast was decent. They can arrange a taxi to the border for $12 (negotiated down to $10) per car, which is a convenient option for an early start.
1 x

lakers6902

Post by lakers6902 »

Just flag down any car and ask em'. In Nukus I found a car that would take 2 of us for $15. It was not an official taxi, just a regular guy who happened to be giving me a ride elsewhere in the city
0 x

Giancarlo

Post by Giancarlo »

Just a quick update of rhinomaxil post.
I don’t know if it was for the actual troubles in Karakalpakstan but I stay long time at Olympic stadium to wait for the taxi fill of people. I arrived very early, around 9 (considering that mini bus from north gate of khiva start at 8). And the taxi was full around 11:30. I was afraid not to leave because no one was coming, in more than two hours. So maybe the via beruni choice was better at the end.
I recommend besqala guesthouse too, it’s very clean, at the desk English is spoken, they gave me a bed in dormitory but I was completely alone in the 6 beds room.
3 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

kelsoflagday

Post by kelsoflagday »

Khiva - Nukus local transport trip review:

Total cost: 30k soms + Yandex to my hotel in Nukus which was about 6k soms.

Khiva to Urgench: I showed up just outside the North Gate around 7:40am. There are minibuses here that fill up fast. There were like 2 people in the like 15 passenger minibus and we left around 8 or 8:15am when it was full. 5k som, pay while driving.

Urgench to Nukus: There is a bus that leaves at 9am from bus station “Avtovokzal” (find on Google Map or Maps.me). The minibus from Khiva didnt go directly there. It started to turn left about 1.5-2km before the bus stop, so I asked the driver to let me out near the bridge. I probably got out of that minibus around 8:35. I then proceeded to walk my ass off to Avtovokzal, and arrived at 8:58am. The bus was ready to leave, and left prompty at 9am, unlike many reviews I’ve heard recently saying that it leaves late. It costs 25k soms and you at the beginning. Nice locals. MORAL OF THE STORY IS LEAVE KHIVA EARLY AND DONT MISS THE BUS BECAUSE IT LEAVES ON TIME. I’d recommend getting to Khiva north gate to start the whole journey around 7-7:25am.

The Urgench-Nukus bus was cramped and totally a local experience. Don’t expect thrills here, people hop on during the way and theres standing room only at times. You may have to give your seat up for an elderly person. We arrived to the southern outskirts of Nukus right at 12. Taxi guys asking you for a ride. I booked a Yandex to my homestay for around 6k or so, and it arrived in 3 minutes. Yandex is great all over Nukus, and my Beeline sim worked great.
1 x

Badmashkidaal

Post by Badmashkidaal »

The return from Nukus to khiva it cost 30000 som from Nukus to Urgench and then 6000 som from Urgench to khiva. In both cases 20 seater minibuses.
1 x

RubenK

Post by RubenK »

Nukus to Urgench with shared taxi is 100 000 som (location: 42°27′42.96″N 59°36′26.3″E ), Urgentch to Khiva with shared taxi is 20 000 soms. Just inform your taxi driver from Nukus what your plan is, and he will drop you off at the appropriate place.

It is more expensive, but also a bit more comfortable if your prefer that.
0 x

sah10406

Post by sah10406 »

Nice recent vlog by a couple going from Khiva to Nukus

https://youtu.be/3PEEPQTDa_Y?si=vlfOuuFpZkztAOcJ
0 x